Hydration and the EXO 3500

Big Country

Aug 29, 2013
Hey guys, looking for a little help.  I bit the bullet and finally bought the new EXO 3500 this summer.  I was planning on using my Camelbak bladder with this pack, is the slurpy stalker the only way?  Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?  Any other tricks people might have?

Big Country,

Hit up Dirk (Thebugler)....I know he used a hydration system with his EXO3500 this fall. I still use the old water bottles, so I'm not going to be much help, but Dirk could let you know what he did and how it worked.

Thanks,
Corey

I used a 72 oz camel back in my Slurpy Stalker. It is well built and worked great. It is easier to just toss in (or refill) water bottles into your pack every day, but I like the ease of quick sips from my hydration bladder. I thought about trying something different to hold the bladder, but the Slurpy Stalker works good and keeps it secure.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.  I was hoping to not have to buy the slurpy stalker although it looks pretty sweet.  Having already spent $500+ on the bare bones pack, I was looking for an alternative way.  My current camelback bladder only has a small plastic hook above the screw top lid.  I'm thinking i'll try to rig this up inside the pack somehow.

I've put my water bladder in either of the side pockets, the stretchy panel, or I've run paracord between the two loops attached to the frame panel and hooked my bladder to the middle of the paracord.

Great question!  I may be late in responding to this post but if you're like me, you're continually trying things out to see what works best.  I picked up the Exo pack this year as well and had to do some thinking on where I wanted my water at.  I ended up hanging the bladder between the pack frame and the bag.  I did this by using some small carabiners that I picked up from REI and attaching them to two loops that are at the top end of the pack frame.  From there I just hang my Platypus bladder and I'm off!  The straps on the frame help keep the water bladder from moving around and secures it nicely.  I have a 3L platypus kit that is currently hung in this location.

I have a thing about not putting water INSIDE my bag.  I've had one too many instances of the water leaking and soaking everything so I do whatever I can to keep my water on the outside.  One of the guys mentioned using the side pockets for water, which I do as well if I need more.  As long as you distribute the weight equally on either side you're good, otherwise the pack might ride funky. 

While I'm at it, I should also mention that I use the load shelf for stashing my tent.  I fold up my tent and lock it in place over the water bladder so it doesn't take up valuable space in the pack.

You can see more at www.bylandco.com or specifically at http://www.bylandco.com/bylandgearreviews/2015/11/22/exo-mountain-gear-3500

-Emory

byland said:
Great question!  I may be late in responding to this post but if you're like me, you're continually trying things out to see what works best.  I picked up the Exo pack this year as well and had to do some thinking on where I wanted my water at.  I ended up hanging the bladder between the pack frame and the bag.  I did this by using some small carabiners that I picked up from REI and attaching them to two loops that are at the top end of the pack frame.  From there I just hang my Platypus bladder and I'm off!  The straps on the frame help keep the water bladder from moving around and secures it nicely.  I have a 3L platypus kit that is currently hung in this location.

I have a thing about not putting water INSIDE my bag.  I've had one too many instances of the water leaking and soaking everything so I do whatever I can to keep my water on the outside.  One of the guys mentioned using the side pockets for water, which I do as well if I need more.  As long as you distribute the weight equally on either side you're good, otherwise the pack might ride funky. 

You can see more at www.bylandco.com or specifically at http://www.bylandco.com/bylandgearreviews/2015/11/22/exo-mountain-gear-3500

-Emory

Thanks for the great info!  I burned through two camelback bladders this year trying to hang them from the tabs inside the bag (plastic part broke while trying to remove to refill) and was getting a bit frustrated.  Unfortunately, during rifle season hanging the bladder outside of the pack isn't an option for me.  Had numerous days this year where bladder would freeze even with an insulated hose.  Thinking some sort of rig between the two tabs is the answer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with putting a bladder inside a pack.  Not only does it make it susceptible to punctures, but it takes up too much room!  I've tried time and time again putting the bladder in the back and just can't make it function for my purposes.  I think in any severe weather you'll have difficulty with water freezing, but for most instances, locating the bladder between the pack frame and the pack is a great way to go. 

Now I'm thinking about how to solve the freezing water issue on cold hunts....  I suppose you could find some sort of coozie type thing to slip the bladder into so it's not as exposed to the elements.  But like you said, the hose may still freeze.  Maybe for those hunts you'll have to go with a nalgene type solution.

Give this solution a try and I promise you'll never hang a bladder in your pack again.

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

Have you thought about trying a hand warmer or two in or close to the bottom of the bladder. Heat rises but the hand warmers do work I use to use them on my camera battery when it was cold I mean 20 degrees or less just tape them to it. Its worth a try and if it doesn't work mark it and say he didn't know what he was talking about.
Have a Blessed Day and Be Thankful you could be in the Best Hospital around!!
Thanks  Dt in East TN.  Eph.3:20;  1st. Kings 21:3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back