I am looking for broad heads

AWHunt CDAID

Jan 9, 2013
Good morning,

I am shooting at Bear Legion set at 63-65 lbs and am shooting Gold tip 7595's. I currently use 100 gr. practice tips, but am looking for advice on broadheads.

your input is greatly appreciated.

MTbowhunter1984 said:
Anything that you are particularly interested in or just any broadheads in general?

This is my virgin year for archery but I have busted my cherry with a nice 5 point bull that I got the first year I went out here in NI during rifle season. I have been practicing shooting a lot with field points (100Gr). I am looking for recommendations for broad heads, there are so many choices out there and I typically try not to listen to the clerk at the counter. I am looking for advice from the guys who have the real world experience.

How do I go about choosing the grain weight of a broadhead?

i see a lot of stuff about Muzzy, G5, etc...

AWHunt,

There are a lot of broadheads, and surprisingly, a lot of good broadheads. However, every broadhead will fly a little differently off of different set ups (bow, cam, weight, draw length, etc). It can be awfully expensive to try out 6-8 different heads to find the one that flies best for you.

I have had great luck with the G5 Strikers, both on flight and performance. I am also shooting the new Solid head this year and it is flying awesome as well. If I had to recommend a head based upon your set up, I would say the G5 Striker in 100 grain would be a great bet and you would be very happy with it.

Check out WAC'em broad heads, the ferels are machined instead of cast like G5, don't get me wrong I love the G5's, but also muzzys, and slick tricks. You may have to shoot a few to see what works for you, but I've had great luck with all! Good luck

I just went to our local Blacksheep store,love that place. I picked up some of the G5 strikers (3 fofr $40)WOW, also had to get a target since the one I have doesn't allow for broadheads. I am going toshoot them tonight, I will post results; hopefully I can hit my a$$ with both hands.

I've always shot Muzzy 3-blade 100gr. The originals. Comes with nice practice blade. Never let me down. Bad to the Bone! Shoot straight and hit the sweet spot and it probably won't matter what you put on the end of carbon missile. Good Luck!!!!

Thanks for all the advice, it is certainly appreciated.

I will hopefully be able to get out and shoot this weekend, depends on what my wife has scheduled for me; I am sure you all can relate. I am going to find a place where I can get out to around 40-50 yds and practice.

Will keep all updated.

I really like the Slick Trick's for a fixed blade, and the Grim Reapers for a mechanical. I had shot Muzzy's for years, but I found with their stamped ferrules, it was difficult to get them to spin true. The Slick Tricks have a machined ferrule, and the 0.35 thick blades are some of the strongest on the market.
I also reccommend getting a G5 Arrow Squaring Device and a Pine Ridge Arrow Inspector. You can square the end of the carbon shaft, then square the end of the aluminum insert with the ASD. The Arrow Inspector is extremely important, and wobble in the BH will cause it to be off at longer yardages.

The weight of your BH really has to be determined by tuning. At only 63-65 pounds draw weight you are probably over spined with the 7595's. you can off set that by shooting a 125 gr BH. If you are under spined the arrows will hit to the right no matter how far you adjust your rest, assuming you are right handed. It's better to be over spined than under, you can still tune your BH's typically.
Your field points and BH's should both hit the same point-of-aim. If they don't, adjust your rest until they do. You move the rest the direction you want your BH's to go. It's a long process, but very important. You may find that you can get both FP's and BH's to hit together, but they are 3" right and an inch high. At that point you adjust your sight.
Just because a bow is paper tuned and shoots a perfect bullet hole in the paper does not mean that your FP's and BH's will hit together, you may still have to tune them in.
If you do a search for the Easton Bow Tuning Guide that came out years ago it has excellent info in it on tuning.

Good luck,
JT

I agree with elk addict. There are lots of quality broad heads but I've never had a problem with Muzzys. Use the practice head and adjust sights accordingly.

Elk Addict said:
I've always shot Muzzy 3-blade 100gr. The originals. Comes with nice practice blade. Never let me down. Bad to the Bone! Shoot straight and hit the sweet spot and it probably won't matter what you put on the end of carbon missile. Good Luck!!!!

I have been using muzzy 4-blades for years and I am very pleased with the results. they fly well, and they are lethal.

I shoot the same arrows with my Bear Truth and have really good grouping with 100 grain viper tricks. But like others have said, there are so many good ones out there its hard to decide. Pick a few out and see how they group for you. I thought the G5 montecs grouped really nice for me as well. I bring those as a back up because of how they are solid and the viper tricks need to be assembled.

If you want a broadhead that will shoot exactly like your field points I recommend a shuttle T.  I can only use fixed blade of course.  Proven truest flight.  by Randy Ulmer I believe after extensive testing.  I prefer the 125 grain just for hard hitting impact purposes.  Less concerned with speed.  Just my opinion ;)

+1 on the muzzy 100gr mx3's.  I used to shoot the original muzzy's for years but I find the mx3's flight much truer out of the new faster bows.  I also had great luck with shuttle t's but find that they start to fly funny after a few practice shots so I never felt confident in my shooting unless I was practicing with new ones but I can't afford to do that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back