idaho otc units clips

L

lang

Nothing killed (grouse don't count), but had a great hunt.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoLoDdLKBiE[/youtube]

Actually itcovers the state.  The bugling 5 and 6 points were on an archery hunt down south.  The largest six point the farthest one was in the panhandle on the opener of rifle season.  The one you see a telephone pole was somewhere between on my way to archery camp.  We just missed seeing  that grizzly down south, but we have lots more here in the panhandle I think than anywhere south.

Sorry that probably didn't help much, are you an archery or rifle hunter?

I'd look into the units that are le for rifle and otc for archery.  There's a handful of them and you'll see more than the panhandle.  The clip i have from up here is the only clearing in all the panhandle.  J/K but it seems like it some days.

From what I know you really only have to worry about grizzlies is the Southeast part of the state, close to Yellowstone. But there might be some up north. I hunt mostly in the central part of the state.

ONE AND FOUR HAVE QUITE A FEW.  FOUR HAD ONE SHOT GETTING INTO AN ELK FARM, JUST LAST YEAR A GUY WITH YOUNG KIDS SHOT ONE OUT OF HIS PIG PEN IN UNIT 1.  THERE WERE TWO GUYS FROM NEVADA THAT SHOT ONE LAST YEAR ALSO IN 1.  BEFORE THE FISH AND GAME ADMITTED THEY WERE IN TEN, A GUY SHOT ONE OFF A BAIT THINKING IT WAS A BLACK RIGHT AT DARK.

EastSouthEast and Southeast part is where grizzlies have been an issue. Last year a hunterlost his life to a grizz in that part of the state.

So do you guys think that's grizzly track coming out of the wallow.  It's big enough, and I can't say I've seen a black with claws like that.

Great videos of some awesome bulls, hopefully you'll tag one next time.

That track is hard to tell with it being so muddy that the edges ooze out and cover the complete outline.  But the length of the claw marks leads me to believe it is a grizzly track.

The IDFG admits to about 100 Grizzlies in unit 1.  The studies I've read put 40-50 grizzlies in the selkirks and another 40-50 in the cabinet mountains which is where I have encountered the most sign.  Seeing a pie plate sized track with 3.5 inch claws really makes your head swivel around for the rest of your hunt.  I haven't seen any exact numbers on the population in unit 4 and unit 7 but research shows that their presence is increasing.  The grizzly that was killed in 2007 down in unit 10 or wherever was genetically tested and found to come from the selkirk population.  That's a long way to travel but that is typical of young males.  The IDFG has it full body mounted in the Lewiston office.

I have not read anything on the population in South-east Idaho but most of the issues there center around yellowstone park and the island park caldera.

I don't think anyone really knows.  I know in the park they had twice of what they originally thought just like in the 90's.  They had no idea a bunch of them live above treeline all summer eating moths in the rocks.  So their count was half of what was actually there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back