Idaho Smoky-Bennett Archery 2019

Realwarrior

Nov 22, 2018
Hi,
I'm a Disabled Veteran from Kentucky and I will be hunting Areas 43/48 in 2019 for Elk, Muleys, and Bear. Since the people of Idaho appreciate my sacrifice and the sacrifices of others like me, I have bought a hunting and fishing license in Idaho every year, I haven"t hunted there. I have bought my licenses and tags and will primarily be hunting elk and mule deer on opportunity and bear as incidentals. I have kept waiting around for my buddies and plans keep falling through, so I will be in all likelihood be hunting by myself. I hunted Area 34 in NM 3 years while stationed there so I know this is a big chore. Physically I am okay 1-2 days and on the 3rd day, I'm toast. What I do have is Time. I can hunt the whole month if needed. I can backpack to get away from the day hunters on 3 day cycles, if I need to.
I have enrolled in the Elk U and looked through the Id F&G site, OnX, and GE. If anyone has hunted this area and has a good place to start or any Unit mission critical info, I would certainly welcome and appreciate the help. I do have an ATV if necessary and a Mt Bike. I welcome PM's if that's more appropriate and I pledge silence. Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas.

Having hunted/hiked both unit 34 in NM and 43/48 in Idaho, I can tell you that they are nowhere near the same level of difficulty. Idaho is much much steeper, and the animals are much more skittish. Hunting pressure in Idaho is significantly greater than NM as well. You'll find elk in 43/48, but it won't be anything like what you experienced in NM.

I don't mean to be a Debby Downer, but it's a lot harder to hunt 43/48. That's not to say it isn't doable. The same rules for success apply in Idaho as anywhere else. Cover as much ground as possible, get away from hunting pressure, if you don't see elk or sign of elk they aren't there, and don't leave elk to find elk.

"Never follow your passion, but always bring it with you." ~Mike Rowe

Realwarrior, thank you for your service and sacrifice!

I live in Idaho and can agree that Units 43/48 are very steep! Covering lots of ground by foot will be very taxing. Unit 43 will have more of a human presence than 48. I would do as much GE scouting as possible, find a few places that you think you could slip into and use your glass to cover as much ground as possible. The fact that you will have plenty of time is great because if you're not glassing any animals in one place, or if other hunters are in the way, you can always drive around and slip into new areas. I agree with sn.outdoors, don't leave elk to find elk. If you're glassing elk, stay in that area, try to pattern them if at all possible, and formulate a plan of attack.

If you can find an area off the side of a road, for example, where other hunters aren't parked/congregating, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting away from other hunters.

I don't mean to state the obvious, but, if you get an animal down in that steep, steep country, it's going to really take everything you've got to pack that animal out by yourself! My best advice will be to get into the best shape you can!

Good luck, and I hope you'll update us on how everything goes!

Another thing that needs to be mentioned. During the first part if not most of archery season, it is HOT. Plan on boning out and trying to cool your meat and getting it out as fast as possible. That's assuming you're successful. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back