Idaho White Cloud Mt's

srfost

Jan 29, 2013
Wondering if anyone has hunted the White Cloud Mountain area in Idaho?  Thinking about a DIY hunt there this fall and needing some general info like decent trailheads for parking a truck/horse trailer, how much the wolves have affected the area, etc.  Also wondering if hunting the west side or east side of that unit is generally better?  Any advice/opinions are gladly accepted, thanks!

Are you going to hunt Elk or Deer? I hunted in 36A Elk last year and had several people say that the wolve are thick. I did not see one or hear one. Never did see any sign of them either. I'm not saying there not in there but not as bad as some my say. We did see elk and a few deer. Awsome country to hunt...

We'll be hunting elk down there.  Good to hear your experience with not that much wolf sign.  Appreciate the info.  Did you hunt in the White Cloud area or more to the east where it's more open?

Are you planning on hunting Unit 36 with an OTC 'B' tag?
Wolves are thick throughout the White Clouds, Sawtooths and Smokey Mtns. Period. As they are in several other areas of the state. I live in the panhandle, and our elk herds have also noticeably decreased in the last 10 years due to the reintroduction of the wolves.
You might also try and 'check in' with any oufitters operating in the area to get an idea of where their concessions are in the unit, just to try and avoid 'crowding' each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back