If you use Trekking Poles--Which ones and why?

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
From a previous thread, there are clearly some people who love their trekking poles.  Which ones did you choose and why?  Did you go with weight as the driving factor or compactness, folding versus telescoping and which brand was the "best deal"?

My telescoping Leki's are not reliably locking anymore and I am curious what others have chosen.

I am partial to my Black Diamond zpoles. 9.5 oz per set, collapse down to a little over 15 inches and I can use them on my tarp.

Honestly I bought my set cause they were on clearance for a screamin deal. Lasted a couple seasons thus far but might be upgrading here next year. We'll have to see how they do during shed season.

No, I don't use them, If I had a lightweight pair, I could see the advantages of using them while packing meat out. but I wouldn't use while hunting.

for the ones that hunt with them what kind of tips are on your sticks? and do you feel that the "tick tick" sound will scare the elk away from across the mountian?

I use a twist lock pair that my wife and kids got me after I got back from Afghanistan and had problems walking down hill. I thought only women and old men used them, I wasn't very gracious receiving them. Since then I have changed my mind. I love them, on our Colorado hunt this year my pack was over 64#, we hiked up to 10600' and I would not have made it if not for my trekking poles. As for the tick tick tick from the tips, I ordered rubber covers that work great. My poles are light wt aluminum, twist lock, and I have used them for 4 years now. They are made by Komperdell. I leave my tent poles at home, and use these in place of my tent poles. When we packed my elk out this year, Bradley and I both used our poles, and it made the trek much easier. Thanks hon for the poles, and thanks Bradley for the help getting and packing my elk.
;D

I currently use the Black Diamond Trail. They are pretty lightweight at 1lb or 17oz (somewhere around there), adjustable to most any length I need for actual use or for different shelter configurations, and the flick lock system does not slip.

No matter your preference in styles if you go with a collapsible pole I would recommend the flick lock system over the twist lock as they will not collapse on you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back