info/advice on units

oscarsteve

Dec 11, 2018
This is my first post...just joined. I'm located in east, central GA. My son and I are planning our first OTC archery elk hunt to CO (would really like ID, but the additional travel time to get there, along as having to deal with grizzlies is not enticing enough) for next September,2nd week. I've subscribed to UEH, GoHunt, and OnX maps. Have watched Corey's videos as well as BRO, Hushin, and the Bugler (Dirk). I've been doing a ton of research and have narrowed it down to units 78, 521/421, and 63. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you have, including advice and helpful hints. We plan to backpack well into an area and stay several days at a time. Not opposed to moving if nothing's happening. THANKS in advice for any help/thoughts.

Welcome to the site oscarsteve!  :welcome:

I haven?t hunted those units before, but maybe someone will be able to chime in and help you. If not, pick one and go with it. There?s no right or wrong answer when it comes to picking a unit.

One thing I would recommend is to maybe bring stuff to pack camp in, but start off camping at a base camp by the vehicle. The new craze is to hike in and get away from people, but I think you?ll find that isn?t always the case, especially if you are entering from a trailhead. It also really limits your mobility if the elk aren?t in the area you backpack into. If I were you, I?d much rather truck camp and be mobile. Keep moving until you find elk, then put camp on your back if it?s necessary and head in.

Just my two cents. Again, welcome!

Welcome.
Depends on what you?re looking for during your hunt. There?s not a 6x6 behind every tree in 78, but it has some good bulls. And lots or hunters. Buddy shot a nice mule deer there this year.
I?ve hunted idaho around Island Park and Ashton. Never saw a grizzly or any sign of one. Fewer hunters and a lot easier to get away from a road without getting closer to the next one.
Good luck with wherever you choose and remember that elk hunting is addictive!

Oscarsteve, a few things that I personally would look at are the statistics for each of the units, how much private land vs public, migration patterns/routes(on CP&W site) and start googling each of the units paying attention to any from bowsite - tend to be helpful especially if send a private reply and have done your homework.

I know some of Unit 78 if you access off Hwy 160 BUT the trailheads are very, very crowded and will run into outfitters.

Quick glance on CP&W site:
Unit 78, 13% success, 1102 hunters, 7551 total recreation days
Unit 63, 17% success, 319 hunters, 2482 total recreation days
Unit 421, 12% success, 124 hunters, 6857 total recreation days
Unit 521, 14% success, 148 hunters, 7790 total recreation days

Agree 100% with cohunter14 on basecamp suggestion then pack in when find good elk location.

Best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back