Introduction and off season scouting

NorthwestRob

Jan 28, 2018
Good morning fellow elk fanatics. I did not see a designated place to introduce new members so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I grew up hunting Washington state for big game from a very young age with my family. I now have a few young ones myself that I hope to teach the same ethics, survival skills, and love for the outdoors my father instilled in me. After spending my 20's in the active Army, I have returned to the northwest and am looking to get back into serious elk hunting.

My father is in great shape for his early 60's and I hope to be able to make every hunting season count while we can enjoy it together. I also have a 13 year old nephew that I enjoy taking on whatever hunting trip I can get his mothers approval to miss school for! As a group, we are meat hunters and enjoy hunts that offer the most opportunity to fill the freezer. We often hunt muzzleloader general and draw hunts in WA to harvest deer on a yearly basis and get elk every 3 years or so. We target areas closed to vehicle traffic and hike in at gates, or parking off roads and hiking to other areas lacking them.

It has taken 2 years of bantering the family to get them to say yes to taking the out of state DIY route for an elk hunting adventure, but I have succeeded. I have started researching (3 weeks) Idaho OTC antlerless elk hunts that offer good chances of harvest and have designated muzzleloader seasons to keep the family in their comfort zone. I have found a few elk zones that offer muzzleloader seasons that overlap deer season. One unit even provides an antler less opportunity to my youth nephew.

I found that the Beaverhead and Lemhi zones offer a great opportunity on paper for our hunting style and goal (MEAT). I will be scouring over maps in the next few months and have vacation set aside for a 4 day scouting trip toward the end of the summer. My goal of the scouting trip is to just familiarize myself with unit access and terrain association. I understand that by muzzleloader season there should be a good amount of snow and elk location and habits will change, along with road access.

I did find something odd during my research. The Elk City zones again offers the muzzleloader antlerless season we are targeting. Unit 16 and 14 had great success but less than 400 hunters between the two units participated. Looking at satellite and topographic maps, these units look pretty thick and offer a variety of steep terrain. Is the unit very accessible when the snow hits? That season is later (NOV) than beaverhead and lemhi (OCT).

Anyhow, thanks for reading and I look forward to sharing our trip experience with everyone and following others as well.

Welcome to the forum Rob!  :welcome:

I?ve never hunted Idaho so unfortunately can?t help there, but hopefully someone with experience will be able to chime in and help out. Sounds like you?ve got a solid game plan though. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Welcome !! I?m headed to Idaho for the first time also this yr .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site, Rob!  :welcome:

We look forward to having you around here and watching your successes!

It sounds like you have some great ideas on where you're going for the DIY/OTC areas.
If you are 100% going to hunt ID, I'd advise you and your group to look up some of the controlled hunts that they offer.

I believe there are some cow controlled hunts too. I can't see too many NON-residents putting in for ID cow controlled hunts, so that could help your odds.

Best case scenario you can draw a better hunt than a general area. Worst case scenario you are going with the plan that you already have set in place right now!

Food for thought...

Again, welcome!  :thewave:

Thank you for the welcome and advice. After spending some time with the old man today, we made the decision to hunt the Beaverhead elk zone. We have quite a few coordinates mapped out to get out and see in person. Dads getting pretty excited and I may have talked him into buying a bow to turn it into a 2 trip season.

I will definitely look into the controlled hunts. I just need to reference if we could apply as a group, as I value time spent with the family as #1. I am looking forward to having extra motivation throughout the off season in the gym. The biggest roadblock to starting this adventure was always making excuses to do it "next year". Next year never got me out of my normal hunting routine. My goal for the season is to learn as much about the unit as I can with the 13 days I will have to work with. I hope to see the change in elk habits between early and late season in the zone, understand how much weather impacts access, and be better prepared for planning a trip the following year.

NorthwestRob said:
I am looking forward to having extra motivation throughout the off season in the gym. The biggest roadblock to starting this adventure was always making excuses to do it "next year".

http://www.elk101.com/forums/index.php/topic,7826.0.html

Start posting your workouts in here.... we can help keep you accountable and on track!  :upthumb:
You guys are already investing a lot of time with the research, if you put the same level into physically training in the off season then you will be unstoppable!  :train:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back