IPhone for GPS..?

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
When I fly, I use an app that provides real time data using my iPad's GPS. I usually lose service around 4000', but the GPS works wonderfully allowing me to track my flight, get weather/radar info. My question: if I purchase the Hunting maps for smartphones, will my iPhone be good enough to use instead of buying a Garmin? Or would I be better off getting a handheld GPS? 

Thank you in advance.

I've got a couple of apps that work great: MotionX-GPS & Topos2Go.
Download the maps of areas you want before heading out.

My Garmin is a lot tougher and more weather proof than my iPhone. Just something to keep in mind.

That I am considering also. Plus, the fact that a Garmin doesn't need to be recharged since I'll be going out for a few days. I am looking at solar chargers for iPhones if I went that route.

I've got an older Brunton solar charger. It can be pre-charged with a USB port before you head out. I hook it up during the afternoon break. Works pretty good.

I have used my cell phone in the area i hunt since i still get service in that particular area.  Works like a charm.  I also bring up google earth on my phone as well.

The phone works great just make sure to cache maps before you go.  Also I would say get a ha held as the battery generally lasts longer and it's easier to pack some extra batteries.  I also go with a goal zero and recharging system for my phone.  I generally keep the phone off and only use for emergency use if needed. 

I just use my Garmin Oregon. I even have the free download for xmaps for smartphone,but don't bother.
I have a "Smartphone",but without service in most areas were I live and hunt it will just roam looking for 3 non-existant satalites and eat the batteries within an hr or less. I keep the PC part turned off and can use it as a phone since that only requires one source of signal. If I need to try and make a call in emergency it can still work.But not reliable,IMHO
I've  hunted since 1960's and never was even near a phone most of the time.
I can turn mine on now if I need and maybe make a call. It usually stays in the truck,next to the charger......

Sorry-Mentioned this several times on different posts. I sold my garmin when I bought an iPhone and the app, Gaia GPS. $19.99 one time fee. Free updates. You can toggle between topos and aerial view, cache all the maps you ever want, use it as a directional compass in pitch black, mark poi's with pics (way quicker than typing), etc, etc. It's absolutely money. Now with iOS 8.3, it works on airplane mode (even less battery use) . I do carry a couple $10 chargers for backpack hunts but I can get a solid 2 days outta 1 charge. As a lightweight solo hunter my iPhone has replaced almost everything ...Garmins, cameras, compasses..all a waste of weight and space (didn't mean to offend anyone!)

SPOTnSTALK said:
Still rockin the Garmin 62s with the map chip from onXmaps.

The AA battery life is great and the unit does exactly what I need it to do, when I need to use it.

My phone is primarily in standby mode during a hunt.

Yeah I'm gonna take the GPS route. Probably go with Garmin Rino with the Xmaps chip.

Both have their positives and negatives....so Ijust carry both.  I've always had a good sense of direction and have yet to get turned around too bad in the woods chasing elk...but I like the idea of having a backup gps in case i lose or break one. 
A good app is cheap and you most likely have your phone on you anyway, so it makes sense to me to have all the maps and imagery loaded on your phone and at least utilize the capability, then snatch up a garmin on craigslist for cheap as a backup it you'd like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back