Judging Distance

Aldog

Aug 28, 2015
I live in the mid-west so I have been limited to the number of times that I have been fortunate enough to have an opportunity at having an elk in my sights. Between myself and a hunting partner we have thrown arrows at 4 different elk. Half of those occasions allowed timing of us using our range finder. The other times we did not have that luxury. We are both productive whitetail hunters, we are not beginners at hunting. All of our misses have been low. Besides the obivous strategy of shooting higher. Is there a more general rule of thumb to help me be more productive at judging distance. Some of the shots have been uphill and some have been downhill, still waiting on that flat midwest ground shot, ha.

I have shot high on bulls that last couple of years that were out in sagebrush and even though I had ranged spots as the bulls moved in and out it was hard to remember and I couldn't move to range again.  Part of the tough aspect of elk hunting. I've shot more obstacle courses this year to help tune up my shooting, just in case.  Having a rangefinder with ARC technology can really make a difference also.  Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back