Just cant close the deal.......

kjw

Sep 23, 2013
I don know what it is but I just cant seem to close the deal on an archery elk. About 7 years ago I switched to bowhunting because I wanted to be with the elk, I wanted to be in the rut, I wanted the challenge, ......I wanted to be able to go to their house and beat them. Rifle hunting just didn't do it for me anymore, still doesn't. I have passed on some bulls with a rifle at 200 yds just because it didn't seem right to pull the trigger. I get in shape, I research, I practice more than most 2 combined, and something always falls apart.
Anyways, I have had everything you can imagine happen. Blown stalks, call them in close with no shot, stalk in close with no shot, a few misses, and unfortunately one lost bull several years ago due to catching some leaves on a tree limb and only getting one lung. Most of these years its been on my own, never really had anyone to go with and call for me (except the year I lost my bull and this year). I realize that a caller changes everything assuming they understand calling but still..... on my own I have been within range of elk every year and for some reason or another it just doesn't happen. This year, with a caller, I thought I had a chance. Great area, lots of animals. I thought it was in the bag, unitl I realied my hunting partner was not nearly in the shape he said/thought he was and wanted to bugle at everything we saw from 800 yds out, which also led to a 1/2 mile sprint at 9400' to run a bull down and resulted in a rushed shot and clean miss. So I guess I am back to solo hunting......
My question to you guys, the guys that consistently kill or couldn't kill and then got it done, what is it that you changed or do to get it done and arrow one of these animals. I have put down everything else I have chased with my bow but for some reason, elk give me the fits......

Man... just keep on keeping on.  This years elk was the first successful hunt I've had in 6 years.  Let me tell you though, that made it all the sweeter. 

Keep looking for that right partner to share the experience with.  Define your roles and expectations for each other before creating a plan for approach.  Don't hunt with someone you can't be honest with.  I was hunting this year with a good bud who I've hunted with several times.  This guy just disappears when the elk come in and it creates a dangerous "flinging arrows around" situation.  I was able to be blunt with him about this as well as not coordinating as a team in crunch time.  If this dialogue isn't open, find someone else.  A buddy really helps though. 

Get to know a single area really well and get to know the elk in that area.  Know their behavior and know where they are likely going to be. Just keep with it and keep focus.  From reading your message it appears you have an eye on all of the right areas.  You'll get one down soon.

I can't speak for elk but for everything I've hunted it's just patience and persistence. If it were easy everyone would bow hunt. That's why I put my rifle all but down for the bow these days, I love how much more challenging it is.

Keep at it mate, your day will come

Thanks guys....I am by far from giving up on this. Just gonna be in better shape and as much as I shoot, Im going to shoot even more. I have learned how important picking a partner is, almost more important than your bow set up. Thanks again.

I am not an expert elk hunter, but I have lots of deer hunting experience. I remember the transition from a rifle to hunting with a bow, and I feel there is a barrier that has to be broken, once you get that first kill with the bow, you will be hooked and it will be easier after that. Be persistent, and it will come, you are close.

I solo hunt for variouse reasons. I don't know what you are doing in the field but if your trying to chase bugles that is not the only way to do it.....I kill a bull every year and I don't chase bugles.When they are bugleing it changes the way I hunt. Send me your cell # through a PM and I will tell you what I do.Way to much to list through this forum.

elkgrunt said:
I solo hunt for variouse reasons. I don't know what you are doing in the field but if your trying to chase bugles that is not the only way to do it.....I kill a bull every year and I don't chase bugles.When they are bugleing it changes the way I hunt. Send me your cell # through a PM and I will tell you what I do.Way to much to list through this forum.

can I get some inside info also ;D

AWHunt CDA said:
elkgrunt said:

can I get some inside info also ;D
Sure , send me your # through a PM

Bow hunting elk is tough and in some areas rifle hunting is no gimme...back in the 90's I was in a slump and got fitter and wanted it more than others. Success has now come but it isn't easy on OTC hunts. Perseverance, dedication,lots of sweat , practice , learning my areas,and an inner confidence from success have bred further success. Keep at it and you will get it done. Calling is my game but there are many ways to get it done. Good luck

This is a topic that hits close to home for me...I know exactly how you feel; and honestly 7 years isn't that bad.  I hunted for much longer than that before I finally connected on an elk with my bow (I actually have an article in the next issue that I'm really excited about...and should make you feel a little better.)

I've been in the same boat for years.  So close so many times but never able to actually close the deal.  I've had tons of blown stalks, elk that hang up just out of range, wind changes, missed shots, a wounded animal, and everything else imaginable that could go wrong has gone wrong. 

The last few years I've worked harder and harder to be in better shape, to shoot more and to better understand elk characteristics.  I've found some great calling resources that have made a huge difference.  Archery elk hunting is about knowing when to be aggressive and when to be patient (something I'm continuing to work on every season.)  I know there are tons of great hunters who kill elk frequently with a bow (many of them are on this site) and while that gives me hope it can also be frustrating because then I think well I must just be unlucky.  Which of course I know isn't the case.  But it can be easy to let the negative thoughts start to creep into your mind.

You have to continue to learn from all of your encounters.  Instead of looking at them as blown chances, change your mindset, and ask what you could do next time to capitalize on the situation.  Hunting is such a strange endeavor because just as you get into the rhythm of a season or a hunting trip...it's over...and you have to wait a whole year to try again. 

If you've taken shots and you've been in close to elk then you're doing it right.  You're getting close and that's all you can do, continue to put yourself in positions where you can be successful, have a positive attitude, keep working hard and I know you'll be hanging that trophy on your wall in no time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back