Keeping meat cool for transport

usmcvet

Jul 8, 2013
I travel from North Carolina out west to hunt elk. I've priced the large Yeti, Pelican, & Igloo coolers but those coolers run well over $1,000. For those of you who have to transport your meat long distances what do you do or use?

I use 4 jumbo Styrofoam coolers with a block of dry ice in each one.  Tape them up good and the ice will last 3-4 days

Last year we used 100-150 quart igloo coolers, the elk we got early in the week were frozen and didn't require much ice for the trip home. we wrapped the coolers in blankets in the bed of thetruck and meat was still frozen when we got home to Pennsylvania. The elk we got later in the week were not frozen, and were chilled in the cooler for processing when we got home.
I got a 150qt cooler for $70 at Sam's Club after last years trip.
http://www.amazon.com/Igloo%C2%AE-Maxcold-Cooler-150-Quart/dp/B004KAUP0Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VZVCR7XEEYWR&coliid=I3DTA43FG3CDYL

Jimbow65 said:
Last year we used 100-150 quart igloo coolers, the elk we got early in the week were frozen and didn't require much ice for the trip home. we wrapped the coolers in blankets in the bed of the truck and meat was still frozen when we got home to Pennsylvania. The elk we got later in the week were not frozen, and were chilled in the cooler for processing when we got home.

Yep, we did the same thing to transport ours back to Idaho! :)

We bring a small freezer and a generator. Put the generator on a hitch hauler(Those carriers you plug into your receiver hitch) and let it run. We strap it down for travel and chain it down when parked. Sometimes the generator doesn't run well at highway speed because of the  wind, but if you get the meat frozen in the freezer before you head home, it won't thaw. We travel from Northcentral Wisconsin to Colorado and do this every year. We debone all of our elk right of way at the kill site. You can fit two deboned elk in our small freezer. We also bring two large coolers like JimBow & THEBUGLER mentioned. 120 quart or so. We freeze clean drinking water in one gallon milk jugs and put 3 or 4 in each cooler before we leave Wisconsin. After 9 days on the mountain the milk jugs are still 2/3 to 3/4 frozen. Its nice to have a drink of cold water after coming off the mountain or coming for more supplies mid hunt. If we need the space for elk meat, we simply take the jugs out.

I never have the problem cause I live 10 min from hunting ground but if your trying to get by cheep  than a Quick way to make a large cooler is a couple sheets of the blue form board used for for insulating houses and a role of duct tape, you can get the stuff at any hardware store and it will lay flat in the bottom of a truck bead till you need it for 60 bucks you can have a cooler up to 8 foot by 4 foot in minutes. 

If you have the time and or know how you could prime the meat out yourself or take to a meat locker to have it done butover the years its easier and more sanitary to just have it at least primed or cut, wrapped, and packed into a cooler of your choice and freeze and store it at the local locker until you are ready to leave. About 70% of the boned meat is grind or stew meat there really isn't much for steaks and roasts.

I am from Michigan, and I have a 12 cu ft chest freezer in the front of my cargo trailer and I have a 4000 watt generator to run my camp, I let my Elk cool over night, if temps allow, then put it in the freezer and get it nice and cold for the drive home ( 24 hour drive ). I also bring most of our food out in the freezer.
it works great.

Kevin

I really like that idea, I pull a horse trailer and a freezer would fit in the front.  8)

Like many I take two large coolers with me.  If time allows I like to try and find a walk in cooler to get the meat cooled, unless the temps outside allow that is.  Just prior to getting on the road I like to place a slab of dry ice in the bottom of the coolor.  I than place some extra game bags over the dry ice so it does not come in contact with the meat.  Once the meat is loaded in the coolers I wrap a couple of wool blankets around each, stuff the coolers under all the other gear and hit the road.  I will not check the meat until I get home and sometimes it can take me a day and a half to get from Montana to Home.
Once home it is straight into a walk in cooler set at 37 degrees for 10-15 days so the dry ageing can continue to break down those muscle fibers!

I have made my own cooler for the back of my pickup. I just carry the precut 2" foam panels to conserve space and build it as needed. Hold it together with duct tape. (I have the panels labeled for location.
I put the meat in an old sleeping bag and add dry ice for the trip home. Much cheaper than a big cooler and easier to store in the off season.

Attachments

• 100_1958 e-mail.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_1952 e-mail.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1953 e-mail.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_1957 e-mail.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts