Kentucky Elk

I couldn't believe it when I heard there was now an elk season in Kentucky.  I am guessing there is a very limited number of tags

My friend pulled a cow tag in Kentucky. We made an agreement we would all buy hunting license if one got picked (3 of us). So we all went to Kentucky and stayed a week. My friend (with the cow tag)  shot two deer that week with his bow. We saw plenty of elk also, but he couldn't get a good shot on a cow. Had two nice bulls at 20 yards. I couldn't go the next weekend,but my friend did and got his cow with his bow.
We did not get picked for the following years, but we went to Kentucky and took video cameras. We scouted and called and took pictures trying to learn. Also bought Virginia license and backpacked in on the Piney Mtn. trails and tried to find a stray elk that crossed into Virginia along the border. Found a few tracks but never found one. They have since made it illegal to shoot elk in those bordering Virginia counties.
We decided we could "all hunt elk" if we drove to Colorado and bought OTC tags, so that's what we have been doing. Other than the added cost of gasoline for the drive, it really does not cost that much more to go west. Price of tags are close and you still have to buy food and gear which is the same. Colorado OTC is a guranteed chance, but the drawing in Kentucky is luck of the draw.
Lots of elk in Kentucky, they reclaimed all the strip mines planting food and "GRASS" that elk need. That's why the surrounding states are having trouble getting elk to grow, they just do not have the needed grass and open areas.

Haven't pulled a tag yet but put in each year, It would be nice to drive only 8 hours to hunt elk instead of the 28 I drive each year now. Elk are doing excellent in KY. The herd has grown to over 10,000 animals , they issue over 800 permits with only 10% going to non residents. I think something like 12,500 people applied last year, so I will have to be on lucky SOB.  From what I hear they are killing more 300 class bull than most elk states. The recovery has gone so well that VA , WV, and MD are now in the study process of reintroduction of elk.
KJ

kjdouble said:
Haven't pulled a tag yet but put in each year, It would be nice to drive only 8 hours to hunt elk instead of the 28 I drive each year now. Elk are doing excellent in KY. The herd has grown to over 10,000 animals , they issue over 800 permits with only 10% going to non residents. I think something like 12,500 people applied last year, so I will have to be on lucky SOB.  From what I hear they are killing more 300 class bull than most elk states. The recovery has gone so well that VA , WV, and MD are now in the study process of reintroduction of elk.
KJ

wow i was going to ask what the quality of bulls was.  that's incredible

yeah I live in TN and we get a whole whopping 5 bull tags...thinking real hard about KY as opposed to NM or UT on a year to year basis...about 24 hours drive closer!

stablebuck said:
yeah I live in TN and we get a whole whopping 5 bull tags...thinking real hard about KY as opposed to NM or UT on a year to year basis...about 24 hours drive closer!

wow I can't even believe there are elk in TN.  that's awesome

If I recall correctly there is about 26 or 27 states that have elk. Most only offer resident licenses but it is still cool to think that more than half of the 50 states have elk.
KJ

kjdouble said:
If I recall correctly there is about 26 or 27 states that have elk. Most only offer resident licenses but it is still cool to think that more than half of the 50 states have elk.
KJ

that is awesome.  so most of them have elk seasons as well?

News to me, I thought when I read the subject that it was a joke.  I've seen elk in missouri but only on a ranch.

dplumlee12 said:
News to me, I thought when I read the subject that it was a joke.  I've seen elk in missouri but only on a ranch.

I just looked at the historic range of elk on rmef.  Used to reach all the way to southern Alabama, Mississippi, and even Louisiana!!

New here-and currently unable to hunt over the last several years as I live outside the US in a country which bans hunting-Boo!  Moving back to VA (resident) this summer and have gotten the elk bug - again!

Noticed that VA intro'd elk this year and prohibits elk hunts in the VA release counties.  Thinking of starting out with a DIY VA hunt bordering those counties (like Tazewell and or Lee) while applying for a KY cow archery tag-which seems to be the best bet.

Love the info on this site.

Man killed a good bull in Bland Virginia last year. It was a crossover from Kentucky. I believe there are several elk in Virginia now. I know of one killed in Wythe and near Abington Va.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back