Kuiu Outlet merch. not covered by warranty. Seeking advice.

Lark Bunting

Sep 14, 2016
I was about to purchase the Kuiu 7200 pack and I found one in the Outlet section of their website for $75.00 off the normal price. I noticed in the disclaimer that it doesn\'t include their warranty if you buy from the Outlet section on their site.

I have NEVER heard of this in my life! I have some very very expensive fly rods that have lifetime warranties, some even with a no-fault warranty. I have even had to use this one time after snapping the tip off in a car door. I have bought used rods with blank warranty cards and was able to use them to register myself. SAGE rods don\'t really even care if you are the original owner or not, they factor the warranty into their prices, which brings me back to the Kuiu packs.

I have been all over the place with packs, Tenzing, Eberlestock, Kuiu, etc. I am just about settled on the Kuiu 7200 (or the 5200) and then saw their outlet section of the website. I can\'t imagine these packs are manufactured for much more than $100 which means the marketing and warranty have to be added into the price. $400+ for a hunting pack that doesn\'t include a warranty?! Am I being ridiculous here?

Now, for the advice; Anyone with either the 5200 or 7200 and can add their opinion? Would you pay more for the warranty? If you were looking for a backpacking bag for a 7 day trip that could also double and shrink down to a day pack, would you go for the 5200 or the 7200? The price is $404 or $424 respectively so pricing really isn\'t the factor.

my friend had the 7200. we did a trip scouting for deer. that guy brought so much crap. it did all fit. the pack organizes better than a lot of others.

the outlets packs are customer returns?

Lark, take a look at what their typical warranty covers here: https://www.kuiu.com/lifetime-warranty.html

\"This warranty covers any manufacturer workmanship defects in your KUIU gear. This warranty applies to consumer use only and is null and void if the product is used in a manner it is not intended for.\"

To me I don\'t see the need to spend more for the warranty. What kind of actual defect could you have with a pack? A zipper breaking maybe? Doesn\'t seem worth the $75 to me, but that\'s just my thought.

Okay, point taken with the warranty but what if a zipper breaks? I am on my own for repairs?

I do have one more option, I can get a used 7200 for $375. Would you consider a used one to save another $50?

I would, but again that\'s just me. My larger pack was bought lightly used and I would never know the difference.

:think:

I ordered the 5200 full kit with both L & R belt pouches and a hat. Overstock, no warranty, $434 with free shipping.

I guess I have to be a Kuiu fanboi now. :ugeek:

I heart Kuiu? :clap:

one of my hunting buddies. he is super-killer. very successful on regular public land hunts. he never puts in for a draw.

i once asked him what pack he was wearing..he said. \"you know what? i dont remember now\" he cares very little about his logos on gear. it\'s odd:)

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
one of my hunting buddies. he is super-killer. very successful on regular public land hunts. he never puts in for a draw.

i once asked him what pack he was wearing..he said. \"you know what? i dont remember now\" he cares very little about his logos on gear. it\'s odd:)
:problem: I was joking about the fanboi comment. If you\'ve followed my short hunting history I am a have been scrounging gear for myself and my son for the last four years. I am a deal hunting maniac in a constant state of battle with my ever-growing son. I own a pair of boots that were worn three days last fall and now don\'t fit him. I will have to buy yet another pair this season.

I am in a position to splurge a bit on a pack and wanted a great hunting pack for my backpacking trip this fall. I look forward to it arriving and giving it a good workout.

I have a icon pro 3200 i got after last season. It fits good and works great while exercising. I hope to pack a bull with it in September.

\"bowhunter\" said:
I have a icon pro 3200 i got after last season. It fits good and works great while exercising. I hope to pack a bull with it in September.
Nice!

I\'m a bit peeved as I placed the order on Monday, everything was in stock and the order is still being processed. This is my first time with Kuiu so I\'m not sure what is normal but this seems a bit long to get an order shipped. :ill:

\"Lark Bunting\" said:
\"elky McElkerson\" said:

:problem: I was joking about the fanboi comment. If you\'ve followed my short hunting history I am a have been scrounging gear for myself and my son for the last four years. I am a deal hunting maniac in a constant state of battle with my ever-growing son. I own a pair of boots that were worn three days last fall and now don\'t fit him. I will have to buy yet another pair this season.

I am in a position to splurge a bit on a pack and wanted a great hunting pack for my backpacking trip this fall. I look forward to it arriving and giving it a good workout.
I know you were. You will love it. All the new packs kinda kick butt. I\'m using my new pack tomorrow hiking in for trout.

I\'ve got that pack ... and I really like it. For the money (which compares with MID-range packs, not high-end ones) it really out-performs.

You wondered about what if a zipper breaks. Well, I\'ve had a Kuiu jacket zipper finally give up and ... I could order a zipper repair kit from Amazon.com cheaper than sending the jacket in for repair. And zipper repair kits work great. And those packs are put together well. I wouldn\'t worry about details like that.

Honestly, it\'s the first pack I\'ve had that really works for putting weight on the hips instead of the shoulders. It works as a heavy hauler and a daypack and I\'ve taken it on airplanes, too, as luggage.

The only problem you\'ll have is the same one I had: You\'ll want the 1850 bag as well. In fact, that\'s the one I use almost all the time. Great daypack, but ready to haul out quarters, too.

And it looks exceptionally cool in airports.

\"Deertick\" said:
I\'ve got that pack ... and I really like it. For the money (which compares with MID-range packs, not high-end ones) it really out-performs.

You wondered about what if a zipper breaks. Well, I\'ve had a Kuiu jacket zipper finally give up and ... I could order a zipper repair kit from Amazon.com cheaper than sending the jacket in for repair. And zipper repair kits work great. And those packs are put together well. I wouldn\'t worry about details like that.

Honestly, it\'s the first pack I\'ve had that really works for putting weight on the hips instead of the shoulders. It works as a heavy hauler and a daypack and I\'ve taken it on airplanes, too, as luggage.

The only problem you\'ll have is the same one I had: You\'ll want the 1850 bag as well. In fact, that\'s the one I use almost all the time. Great daypack, but ready to haul out quarters, too.

And it looks exceptionally cool in airports.

Thank you for the great review. I am so excited for it to get here I can hardly sit still (I love new gear). I\'m happy I decided on the 5200 instead of the 7200 as I think I can get away with the 5200 as a day pack as well. We\'ll see how much it can compress when it gets here this week.

I see the 1850 in action here! <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698puvdP3SA\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698puvdP3SA</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back