Kuiu

rwheelerii

Dec 29, 2012
I know most people here are Sitka fans, but I am looking at going against the grain and looking at getting a Kuiu set. I have heard that the quality is good, but does anyone have first hand knowledge of how their fabric holds up? If the fabric is nominal I guess I will have to go with what Sitka.  "If it ain't broke don't fix it, Jack"!

I have used Kuiu for 2 years and the outer cloth has held up great.  Even my buddy has commented that some of the times that the pants have been snagged, have not resulted in tears.  The Merino wool tops do have some small snags, but they were not intended to be worn as the outer layer, but sometimes, it gets just too hot in September.  I highly recommend them.

The KUIU line has replaced some of my Sitka stuff. If your looking for an extremely comfortable pant that will hold
hold up well try the Attack Pant. Additionally, the new 230 top is excellent as an outer layer, as it is much more du
durable being it has some polyester in it. 

Thanks for the input. I know they have some issues with orders but I have some time so I should be good.

Jeremiah Johnson said:
The KUIU line has replaced some of my Sitka stuff. If your looking for an extremely comfortable pant that will hold
hold up well try the Attack Pant. Additionally, the new 230 top is excellent as an outer layer, as it is much more du
durable being it has some polyester in it. 

JJ
Good info on the Kuiu 230 top as I have been eyeballing it as a more durable top/outer covering before a jacket is needed!
Thx

I have their guide jacket and merino 185 zip-t. I really like the 185 zip-t although I wear it as an outer layer and the hem has become frayed on the sleaves. I'm thinking about the 250 zip-t. I like the guide jacket. Functions well.

top_pin said:
I have their guide jacket and merino 185 zip-t. I really like the 185 zip-t although I wear it as an outer layer and the hem has become frayed on the sleaves. I'm thinking about the 250 zip-t. I like the guide jacket. Functions well.

Top Pin,
The 230 Zip T (used to be the 250) is upgraded and does better as an outer garment than the 185, but is not the equivalent of their Guide Jacket.  I am considering adding the 230 Zip.  The zipper really is necessary to help cool down when you start overheating.

I have used sitka and core4element the past few seasons and all of it did what it was suppose to do. The core4element merino wool is awsome. But I had to try Kuiu. I just got some of it for Xmas and let me tell you its built great. I can't wait to wear it out hunting. The guide pants are like pajama's and the guide jacket is like the 90% sitka jacket. Its all pretty much the samething. The kuiu has more stretch in the fabric.

I have both sitkia and Kuiu and both are excelent I pefer kuiu bc of its price is a little lower and it holds up better.

Awesome thread I really have been looking at both these brands I am leaning towards Kuiu myself but haven't made the decision yet

4mattmyers said:
I have been looking into their gators. they look like they are built well.

I just bought a pair for Christmas.  Haven't used them yet, but I'm very impressed with the construction and design.  I will put some miles on them and report back.

I read somewhere that they were both started by the same guy.  He started Sitka which was eventually bought out by gore so he started another line called Kuiu. 

I'm a big fan of Sitka, and I'll continue to use their products. I also have picked up a Kuiu Icon 3000 packs w/ 2012 frame, and I'm really digging this new pack! I enjoy both camo patterns by Sitka and Kuiu, Optifade definitely works I've had elk as close as 17 yards from me and I've also heard Vias/Verde are extremely useful at close ranges as well, but then again it all comes down to being down wind and no movement.

The KUIU outer layers I have purchased have worn well for me. I'm more concerned with them shipping production overseas (Japan I think?). I have heard the fit is a bit different now, and that gives me some concern.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
I read somewhere that they were both started by the same guy.  He started Sitka which was eventually bought out by gore so he started another line called Kuiu.

yeah I just found out theywere both started by jason hairston.

Backpack Hunter said:
The KUIU outer layers I have purchased have worn well for me. I'm more concerned with them shipping production overseas (Japan I think?). I have heard the fit is a bit different now, and that gives me some concern.

I just read all about that.  they moved production to china.  not sure about the fit being different.  but almost all clothing manufacturing is done in china (sitka, columbia, mountain hardwear, north face etc).  Once their demand reaches a certain point it is just no longer financially feasible to continue production in america

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back