Late October post rut -Moon effect

SteveR

Jun 28, 2018
Last 3 years Ive hunted pre-rut Sept 1-10 successfully. Question for those that hunt post rut. I know that if all possible, hunting in Sept rut during a full moon is tougher. I have a chance next hear to hunt post rut on some private leased land in an Agricultural zone in Northern BC. Trying to pick the time. Full moon is Oct 13. Will the full moon have the same effect as during rut? Ie...they are up all night feeding, and bed earlier for the day.
I have 2 time slots available. Would you pick Oct 8-18 or Oct 21-31? Location is North east BC, so good chance of cold weather and snow.

SteveR said:
Will the full moon have the same effect as during rut? Ie...they are up all night feeding, and bed earlier for the day.
In general, yes, it will have the same effect.

SteveR said:
SteveR said:
[/size]
I have 2 time slots available. Would you pick Oct 8-18 or Oct 21-31? [/l]
[/size]

For me, a lot would depend on if other people are going to be hunting the area. If it's going to be untouched, I'd definitely go the later weekend. If there's going to be some hunters in there the first week, that would complicate my decision a little bit.​

There is only 1 group permitted in there at a time, but there will have been pressure on the herd since Sept 1. I was thinking that the Oct 8 slot was closer to the rut so still may be some calling action, downside being full moon, and the Oct 21 slot was after full moon, colder, and more daytime movement, but they will have been pressured longer.  The herd grows from 15-20 animals all year to over 100 by early-mid November and I'm not looking for bone, a dry cow will do if no bulls around. Herd may be larger in the Oct 21 slot or by Oct 31. Season closes Oct 31. To complicate things there are some moose around, with bow only changing to rifle on Oct 15 for them,  so also having an early chance at a moose before they get too pressured is a consideration.  Priority is elk. Which slot?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back