Late season long range elk

Chad44

Jan 25, 2013
Went with a buddy on his cow elk hunt. He shot her at 716 yards with one shot. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 23
Still no sure about long range shooting of game. I just don't see the sport in it but that is just me. That is why I switched to archery.

I am with Fullabull,  716 yards? I like the hunt way more than the kill. One can easily get to within 100 yards. And us archery hunters have been 40 yards. And under!! Long range is better for desert course deer .
BUT CONGRATS ON BEING AN EXCELLENT MARKSMAN. MOST PEOPLE WOUND GAME AT ANYTHING OVER 400 yards.

Ya. I too like archery hunting better. The rush isn't there at that yardage. He was shooting a 300 ultra mag. Christiansen arms rifle. 210 Berger bullets. That was his personal goal so I thought I'd go help. The long range bug has been biting more and more people. I love thumping steel at long ranges and I know that it can be ethically done with one shot but still prefer stick and string.

I had a cow tag this year and wanted to test out my .300 WBY mag at 400 yds or longer...  ended up shooting one at 30 yards.  Yeah the WBY might have been a little overkill at that range.

I always have a hard time watching the TV shows elk guys are shooting from so far away that it doesn't seem to show respect for the elk. They only woot and holler about how long the shot was so they can sell their gear. I would rather them show how you can become so accurate at long ranges so it will help you make better shots at shorter ranges. I think that to many people watch that stuff then go out and try making shots of that distance just because they saw someone on TV do it :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back