Late Season NE

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
It\'ll be back to Nebraska for me this fall ... a \"season choice\" antlerless deer tag is useful for any open season, and I\'m thinking about getting a muzzleloader out this summer and working on a load.

Now ... which muzzleloader? That\'ll be the tough question -- I have 5 of them. Haven\'t used them in years, but we used to hunt whitetails all the time with them when I lived in Nebraska.

I have a few muzzleloaders. I like to break out the ole Hawken and throw some simple patch and balls. The funny errrrr not so funny thing is I bought a CVA Acura because it was lighter. I got it for my son to shoot his first deer. He has shot 5 through the heart and out to 90 yds. I missed a huge buck at 60 with it. I think i hit a limb :downthumb: . I also practiced plenty and then in 2013 missed a cow elk opening day at 45 yds. I was shooting up hill behind me while sitting under a Spruce tree. I think my awkward position had something to do with it.

Finally I managed to get one with it 2 years ago. During gun season I shot a spike deer at 30 yards. I aimed for the spot between his eyes :mg: :D He dropped in his tracks.

I have made many great shots with the patch and ball out to 130 yds with iron sights. If I had my choice it would be the Hawken.

I got one of those licenses also.

2 tags for $62 - archery,rifle,ML until Jan 2017

I\'m thinking about zipping a doe with my bow and then one with a ML

I\'ve gone totally modern with my ML.... :think: :think:

I\'ve got a T/C .50 cal don\'t remember what model but it has a black composite thumb hole stock and I mounted a Redfield 3x9 scope on it.... I\'ve killed several deer and one hog with it with most shots being in the 145 to 175 yard range... Where I have my stand located doesn\'t give me very many close shots...

The load I use is CCI primers, 2 Pyrodex pellets pushing a .45 cal 240 gr Hornady XTP bullet in a cheap Cabelas sabot... It\'s as accurate as the loose nut behind the trigger... So far that loose nut has been ok and made the shot on everything the trigger was squeezed on... :upthumb: :upthumb:

I still have my old T/C .54 cal Hawken but haven\'t shot it in years... :( :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back