Let?s see your first.....

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
We have a while before hunting season so let?s share some stories to pass time!

Let?s see some of your first big game animals. 

Here is my first rifle kill. 

Maine whitetail
7614d96a1d7a71d078494d8ac3994ffe.jpg

Here is my first archery kill

Massachusetts whitetail
81d963c0842bbb5b9c360d15e5bc0067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first (well, second year) big game hunt was elk and it was amazing. I'm going on 4 years now.
a1a222459c60f57e2053a66fbab6752d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even have a camera when I killed 1st whitetail BUT I remember it just like it was some 60+ years ago. I was a youngster, pre teen, and my dad never deer hunted so my next door neighbor, next door was a quarter of a mile through the woods my buds played in all the time, ask me to go with him to his deer camp... Flash forward to opening day, that morning I let a racked buck get by since that's was in the dog running days and I had no idea how fast things happened... Then that afternoon I was setting next to the same tree and as all go deer hunters do was wondering in and out of napping after a good hot lunch... As I nodded between the nods I saw a deer walking across the woods road I was watching... I threw my trusty of 20 gauge Remington pump shotgun loaded with #3 buck shot and touch of the shot I'll remember till the Load call me home... Off he ran and not knowing nothing about nothing I was in hot pursuit... Back then it was open timber unlike the pine tickets of today and I could see running through the trees... He went behind a big oak tree and never came out the other side. At full sprint I made to that tree and still hadn't seen him... All of a sudden I slammed on the brake to avoid tripping over him... He was a small spike but I thought he was the biggest deer in the woods...
Since then many whitetail have had my tag attached to them. I don't remember each and every one of them but I still do remember that 1st one....

Unfortunately I lost the pictures of my first big game kill, which was a cow elk. I was sitting in a ground blind overlooking a small meadow when a herd of cows came in. I was patient, picked out the largest cow, and shot. A circus ensued! The herd when running and as the dust settled, I saw the cow I shot stumble a few steps and drop. After watching her drop her head and thinking she had expired, I started walking towards her. I made it only a little ways when she lifted her head, looked at me, jumped to her feet and took off running. She was running downhill and barely quartering away. I shouldered my rifle, clicked the safety off, and shot...and somehow dropped her in her tracks. Luckiest shot of my life! There wouldn't have been time for another shot as she was just about to the trees, so I swear she might still be running if I hadn't hit her :lol:

It's a bummer that I don't have the picture, but here's a couple of other 'firsts' for me. My first two bow kills! The first is a turkey that I took while archery elk hunting three years ago and the second is a buck from last year, my first big game animal with my bow. Still waiting on that first elk with a bow!

7981bd645d5066b0a5f86da913d56fec.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
My first deer and elk were before digital cameras and the photos are in a photo album at my parents house. The elk was a spike and the deer was a whitetail doe.

I do have pictures of my first archery deer and my first archery elk. The deer was a small non-typical that was friends with a very nice non-typical I was trying to get a shot at. I wasn't going to shoot the little one and had passed up chances at him numerous times including the day before I shot him. When he walked out I thought it was a good size doe and shot. He had shed his antlers sometime in the previous 24 hours. It was Dec. 23 during our late archery.

I was hunting near my Dad and Brother when they called on the radio to tell me Dad had shot an elk. I was headed to them to help them look for arrows when I heard something in the brush below me. I cow called a few times and this bull walked uphill and I shot him at 18 yards. When I got to my Dad and Brother they were looking for an arrow to see if it had blood on it. My Dad had shot once at the bull from 11 yards and then again from 16 yards. The first arrow was clean and when we found the second arrow it was clean too. When we tracked down the bull I shot my Dad looked at it and said it was the same one he had shot at twice. That was in 2007. The elk I shot in 2017 was a bull I called in and my Dad missed it and I called it back in behind me and I shot it too. At least he was there to help pack them both out.

Attachments

• temporary 1368.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 8
  • temporary 1358.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 8
cohunter14 said:
Unfortunately I lost the pictures of my first big game kill, which was a cow elk. I was sitting in a ground blind overlooking a small meadow when a herd of cows came in. I was patient, picked out the largest cow, and shot. A circus ensued! The herd when running and as the dust settled, I saw the cow I shot stumble a few steps and drop. After watching her drop her head and thinking she had expired, I started walking towards her. I made it only a little ways when she lifted her head, looked at me, jumped to her feet and took off running. She was running downhill and barely quartering away. I shouldered my rifle, clicked the safety off, and shot...and somehow dropped her in her tracks. Luckiest shot of my life! There wouldn't have been time for another shot as she was just about to the trees, so I swear she might still be running if I hadn't hit her :lol:

It's a bummer that I don't have the picture, but here's a couple of other 'firsts' for me. My first two bow kills! The first is a turkey that I took while archery elk hunting three years ago and the second is a buck from last year, my first big game animal with my bow. Still waiting on that first elk with a bow!

7981bd645d5066b0a5f86da913d56fec.jpg

Must have killed this buck in November?
Looks like you've got some "no shave November" action going on!

This is my first successful archery season in 1993. Small muley, White Tail and a Bear. I have not come close since. Working hard toward an archery elk this season.  :train:

Attachments

• 1993.Season.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back