Lets talk pants!

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
Alright folks, I'm in the market for some new all around pants to hunt and hike in. I've used a lot of different brands covering a wide variety of price ranges, but I have yet to find that perfect pair of pants. Key features would be durability and something that breathes. I understand that temperature depending, layering up is a must so that is irrelevant. I hunt mostly North Dakota and New Mexico, but this fall I will be in Montana, Arizona and South Dakota as well, so you can imagine the different terrain. Lets see what you guys come up with!

I'm making a pants change this year too.

I've typically been wearing anything from shorts to jeans to cheaper cabelas work pants to OCP pants.
They are great in early season, but I trash them in the woods. Sticks, brush, cactus, barb wire fences, etc really mess them up. Not to mention they are not good whenever I am in any moisture. Even just an early morning dew can leave my pants wet...

I've been trying to look at some higher priced hiking pants to possibly test out this year.

I've got a handful of different pants that I use during different times of year depending primarily on temperature. I've got a couple of fairly lightweight Under Armour pants that I got quite a few years back. I've also got some Cabelas 'zones' pants that I got two years ago that work really well and are fairly lightweight. As more of a midweight pant, I've got some Sitka Mountain pants. And then I've also got a heavier Under Armour pant that I've had for quite some time that only gets used when it's really cold.

My suggestion would be to try on some different pants and make sure they fit well. Some manufacturers pants fit differently with different styles. For example, the Mountain Pant from Sitka fits me great, but the Ascent pants are way too tight in the legs for me and are not comfortable. I would suggest going with a higher-end brand  instead of a WalMart type camo because they will breath much better. But even my Cabelas pant breathes really well. Then try to find a couple of different 'weights' (lightweight, midweight, etc). By using different weights, you can have a couple of different options for different temperatures. Add in a layering option underneath and you have a lot of options.

cohunter14 said:
I've got a handful of different pants that I use during different times of year depending primarily on temperature. I've got a couple of fairly lightweight Under Armour pants that I got quite a few years back. I've also got some Cabelas 'zones' pants that I got two years ago that work really well and are fairly lightweight. As more of a midweight pant, I've got some Sitka Mountain pants. And then I've also got a heavier Under Armour pant that I've had for quite some time that only gets used when it's really cold.

My suggestion would be to try on some different pants and make sure they fit well. Some manufacturers pants fit differently with different styles. For example, the Mountain Pant from Sitka fits me great, but the Ascent pants are way too tight in the legs for me and are not comfortable. I would suggest going with a higher-end brand  instead of a WalMart type camo because they will breath much better. But even my Cabelas pant breathes really well. Then try to find a couple of different 'weights' (lightweight, midweight, etc). By using different weights, you can have a couple of different options for different temperatures. Add in a layering option underneath and you have a lot of options.

Thanks for the info! I am usually wearing first lite, but I shred their pants like it is nobodies business! They fit and breathe like a dream, but when you blow a knee out after one hunt, it gets expensive fast! Have you tried to compare your sitka pants to the first lite stuff? Are your sitka pants very durable?

I've never owned First Lite so I cannot compare. But I've been impressed with the Sitka stuff as well as the Under Armour and Cabelas pants. As I mentioned, some of them I've owned for quite some time and they are still in great shape. What are you doing to shred the pants? I feel like I treat my pants like any other hunter would and I've never had that issue.

I guess it is all relative to the hunt, but Ibex, and sheep hunts tear pants simply because you're rock climbing at some points so using your legs against rocks to gain leverage is common. Up here in North Dakota we have some waist high scrub brush that will grip and rip as well. It all varies honestly. Its obviously not every hunt that pants are ripping, but its more common than I would like it to be.

I would maybe consider the Sitka Timberline pant. I thought it fit very similar to the Mountain Pant, but you get the reinforced knees and butt area. If it's your knee area that is tearing a lot, those could definitely be worth the money.

i personally ran the sitka mtn pant last year and there awesome.. im gonna get some of the timberlines as well just because of the reinforced knee and seat.  i ran the nomad pant the year before and there is not even a comparison between the two.. we had a decent storm move in on us and the temps dropped along with quite a bit of snow and the layering system along with that mtn/timberline pant kept me warm. expensive but if i could have all the money back i spent on sub par hunting clothing, i could have bought three of these systems. and for versatile hiking/hunting pants im gonna go with the solid colors    thats how much i liked em

The latest episode of kifarucast spends some time talking pants. Might give you more options to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turnercody said:
i personally ran the sitka mtn pant last year and there awesome.. im gonna get some of the timberlines as well just because of the reinforced knee and seat.  i ran the nomad pant the year before and there is not even a comparison between the two.. we had a decent storm move in on us and the temps dropped along with quite a bit of snow and the layering system along with that mtn/timberline pant kept me warm. expensive but if i could have all the money back i spent on sub par hunting clothing, i could have bought three of these systems. and for versatile hiking/hunting pants im gonna go with the solid colors    thats how much i liked em

I like the idea of the solid colors and being able to use it for other activities whether it's daily use or hiking/camping.
I love just wearing plain jane green, brown, tan, or black colors when hunting.
I guess I need to go find a local store with sitka and try some on.

fightthenoise said:
The latest episode of kifarucast spends some time talking pants. Might give you more options to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll definitely have to listen to that!

in that podcast aron syder praises the timberline pant as the best he wore for 2017.. if im not mistaken, its been a day or two since i listened to it.  timberline and mtn pant are the same minus the extra abrasion layer on the seat and knees. and yeah your right, going with their solid colors really allows for you to get your moneys worth out of them in my opinion..  i run the ascent sitka pant for the warmer time of year and they breathe very well.. but not saying those mtn pants dont.  if i had to choose for a multi season pant id go with the mtn or timberline.. i got my ascent pants last year for a hell of a deal on camofire right as they introduced the sub alpine line  think i only paid $85 for them. well worth it

I have been using First Lite in north Idaho for the last couple years and had a tear in one of the knees, called FL and were replaced with no ?'s asked. I also use old school military green woolies that I get from local thrift stores, awesome.

My solid color pants are Prana Zion. Great pant. I went seven days wearing a pair before; just cuz I wanted to pack light on a vacation. They are a great travel pant as well as hunting/hiking.

My camo pant is the Kuiu Attack. Very lightweight, breathable. If I was blindfolded, my butt couldn?t tell if they were the zions or attack. They are comfy. I?m tearing up my Attack pant. The AZ desert is unforgivable to a pair of pants. I have a pair of solid ATtck pants I don?t love. The fabric feels much heavier.

My vote is for either the Prana Zion or Kuhl Renegade.I also have a pair of REI Screeline pants that aren't bad. Camo is an unnecessary expense in my opinion, and unless you're getting name brand hunting clothes on sale, I don't think they're worth the cost compared to Prana/Kuhl.

Just did a quick Amazon review and Q&A read over the Zions... I was not disappointed!

"Question:
100% other fibers.....wth does that mean? 

Answer:
It means magical fibers. Made in heaven by Angel unicorns
By Amazon Customer on July 15, 2016"

That's got to be good, right?

Ivar88 said:
Just did a quick Amazon review and Q&A read over the Zions... I was not disappointed!

"Question:

Answer:

:haha: :haha: :haha:  I guess so!

Ivar88 said:

"Question:

Answer:

LOL!!! I'll take three based off that answer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back