Lightweight packable down jacket.

andyschaef

Jan 31, 2013
Spend about $150 for a good one that packs down tightly, (less than 14 oz.) I've had one for a few seasons and it's great.  Not bulky and super warm for the Septemberseason.

I was looking at  some in a sports store and dreaming of the pantagonia and Mountain hardware puffy $195. I found a Cabelas branded one for $50 and told my wife about it for a Christmas gift. she found a JC penny down puffy jacket for $30. it didnt fit exactly so when I exchanged it it was marked down to $20. it is pretty Impressive for the money. packs down small, weighs nothing I have worn it in 20 degree breezy weather and it is comfortable. A puffy jacket of either down or primaloft is the perfect camp jacket for cool evenings and mornings. I could throw a camo jacket over it if we get a cold snap.

I have wanted one for several years. Those Patagonia ones are sweet but bring your fat wallet with you. I will look at the JC Penny's jacket...might be the mack daddy..Thanks

I wish you wouldn't have posted that Super Down by KUIU...that is a sweet looking jacket and I love the waterproof down.  I think I need one...

I'll probably have to buy a Super down jacket too. Very impressive stuff. Has anyone seen the outer layer from First lite yet made of
cocona
? I cannot wait to check it out.

im thinking of getting the kuiu superdown as well..  do you guys like the full zip jacket with hood? Or the half zip shirts style?  i am leaning towards the hoody only because i like full zips, and if its cold enough for me to have to have on a down jacket, im gonna need to keep my head warm too.. 

Kuiu is easily the best option in this category. In fact, in my opinion, Kuiu has the best gear on the market. The packs are the only thing that they produce that are possibly outdone, and even their packs are great.

Sierra Designs' dridown (hydrophobic down) jacket has been getting some good reviews, and is a bit less expensive than Kuiu's....with more insulation. You will be seeing quite a few companies coming out with their dridown, or downtek jacket versions shortly.

Montbell's Plasma 1000 jacket is getting some buzz lately, with 1000 fill down and at 5.2oz I'm sure you can see why.

Ok I am considering purchasing a down jacket to lighten my pack and not carry my heavy wt jacket I use when still hunting deer    Here is one I found on Sierra that is budget friendly.  It's 800 down amd water resistent shell. Any opinions as far as good bad or indifferent?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 2
I haven't found any weather that my first lite puffy won't handle.

camofire has a rock primaloft all the time i got the vest it rocks also core4element has a good one too water proof

I wore the down vest from core4 element during my turkey hunt this year, kept me very warm was very pack able and light weight. It and the jacket are made with water resistant down also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a discontinued Cabelas brand model last year for almost nothing.  I am sure there are lighter and warmer out there, but for the money I will take this one for now.

Back