Locating Elk

Mountain Bowhunter

Jan 2, 2013
I will be going on my first elk hunt next season so I am trying to learn as much as possible.  Just wondering how do you guys go about your scouting.  How do you decide on an area and how do you locate the elk.  Do you hike in and look for sign or sit back and glass?

Study maps,pick north slopes with benches and saddles away from roads if you can.You don't have to see elk,as long as you see sign,dependingon when you scout the elk may not be there,but past sign will be.Main thing is absorb all you can from resources like this and show up and hit 'em hard.Good luck

thanks guys.  I should have have mentioned in the first post that I probly won't be able to do any pre season scouting so locating elk cold in a new area.

Try nighttime  bugling from high vantage points and waiting 10-15 minutes.  No response after 2 bugles, move to the next area.  You can cover lots of territory and you are not trying to call them in, just locate what drainage or area that they are in.  Then come back and kill em in the morning.  What could be easier ??? ?

RockyMountainHi said:
Try nighttime  bugling from high vantage points and waiting 10-15 minutes.  No response after 2 bugles, move to the next area.  You can cover lots of territory and you are not trying to call them in, just locate what drainage or area that they are in.  Then come back and kill em in the morning.  What could be easier ??? ?

haha that's a good idea

I've hadsuccess at night too..I don't generaly bugle, just listen.The bulls I've heard were close to the same area in the morning..I have done well glassing clearcuts in the morning as well...

there is nothing like getting a little local knowledge.  I have gone deer hunting without knowledge of the area and had success but you just have to give it a try.

Just study google earth and a topo map of the area.  since you wont be able to scout pick some good areas and give it a shot.  Bugle here and there and look for sign as you go.  You should be able to locate a bull and work him till you get him.

Call and talk to local biologists as well, they are always will to help when they know you are a fist timer in an area.

Some of my best scouting is done during October-February during deer/shed hunting. Look for signs of rutting activity rubs, wallows, etc...Come season hit these spots and most likely you will find elk close by. Be willing to go into areas most guy are too lazy to go. In Oregon where I hunt on private timber lands it is not unlikely to pull up to a gate and have ten rigs parked. Knowing these hunters have a tough usually uphill climb by foot or bike ahead of them. What I like to do is use google earth and find old roads or access points into the same area which are much higher in elevation which allows me to come in with my bike from the top of the same area literaly "miles" ahead of the other hunters.

Never drive around and call from road ways.  Elk are used to this and become very quite because of this tactic.  Be an elk and go into the wood and act like a elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back