locator bugle strategy

montanaelk31

Mar 18, 2014
Hey everyone-
Last year I started locator bugling/elk noise multiple times from 1 location. I increased the number of elk I was ableto locate during midday.  Years prior, I bugle once, move on, bugle once move on.  This past year I started by locating by barking followed by a squeal. Couple minutes later I would do a textbook location bugle and if there was an elk there it almost always gave me a response.  What is everyone's technique for midday locating?  Thanks in advance...

Do you use location bugle in AM as well or do you find they are still talking enough to find them without?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am usually on them in the AM because I have them scouted. If they are vocal, I get close and set up. I definitely locate bugle more past 11 am than I do in thE morning especially if I couldn't find them first thing. Just wondering everyone's specific locator bugle sequence. I see Corey likes to do long drawn out cow calls, followed by a locator bugle.

montanaelk31 said:
I am usually on them in the AM because I have them scouted. If they are vocal, I get close and set up. I definitely locate bugle more past 11 am than I do in thE morning especially if I couldn't find them first thing. Just wondering everyone's specific locator bugle sequence. I see Corey likes to do long drawn out cow calls, followed by a locator bugle.

Rookie elk hunter here making first trip this season, so strategy is WIP. Never thought about doing cow calls with it, but shouldn't  hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you travel from the mid west and have only a 7 to 10 days, what would your strategy be?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I moved from the Midwest in 2006. I have shot an elk every single year since that time. My strategy never changes. Locate elk get the wind right  get close. Cory advocates a challenge bugling sequence.  I think that works well sometimes. I also think that cow calling works well sometimes. I also think that acting like a bull talking  to the cows only works well sometimes.  The key to elk hunting is being in elk every day. Eventually you'll call one in. Don't be afraid to push the envelope and get close. And forget about the Whitetail sneak. Just walk! My brothers come with me from the Midwest every year and we always do well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back