lone bull walking - do you keep following?

Alder

Jan 2, 2013
Hunting the oregon coast range I often find lone bulls just slowly walking along. They will talk back when called, but won't change their path. I have followed these guys for miles, and never end up getting a shot. Eventually they end up in terrain I can't follow and I lose them. How do you hunt these guys?

You either have to cut him off the next day or chase him down. if you keep calling from a distance he knows things are safe. close the distance as much as possible to get a better reaction.

I try to catch up as close as i can and give him a ration of calls to see if he will change path. If not and he disappears then ill show up back at the spot he disappeared the next day and go from there.

For me, in this situation, I listen to my gut!!  If there is any doubt, I will let him go for another day!!  Lots of things may have happened with him!  He might not seemed stressed but if he is, it will be hard to catch up with him!!  I spent many days chasing walking bulls!  I can honestly say I never caught one!!  Although, I did stumble on a couple of opportunities on other animals that I have been lucky on chasen walking bulls!!  They all were in the heavy rut and in ground I had hunted before so I knew where I was!!

How close are you to them?  Have you ever tried using a decoy. I have called fruitlessly to a bull many times with out them showing much interest. As soon as I started using a Montana decoy I can at least stop them and get their attention and usually can get them to come my direction. In my opinion a decoy is a game changer!

Well a wise old elk hunter told me once that elk just feeding go at pace of about 39 mph :D .  Seriously is a joke around our camp.  Following a elk that is just walking is almost impossible.  The only way to catch them is if they are gonna bed down.  A lone bull walking is hard to catch up to.  If you can close the distance, you may challege him, but when they are alone on this side of the cascades they are almost impossible to follow and kill regularly. 

My tactic is to stay quite and not let the bull know I am even around and follow quickly.  He has to slow down or stop at some point allowing you to get closer and maybe a shot.  Most of all keep the wind in your favor and be like a cougar in you moves.  No quick movements of arms or legs. Smooth moves like your surroundings .... tree limbs, grass, and that should do it.

I would try getting ahead of him if you have an idea on the pattern and that way your less likely to be busted,let him come to you.

Decoy is an interesting idea. I usually end up being about  a hundred yards away or so, but lots of times they are heading downhill so I have to be careful not to get skylined. Decoy might be a good thing to try.

39mph sounds about right to me. Getting ahead is nearly impossible even when they are barely moving. Usually getting in front is tough because of the wind. They are so tempting to follow!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back