Looking for a new bow

Big Country

Aug 29, 2013
Hey guys, just thought I would pick everyone's brain.  I'm new to archery and in the market for a new bow. I'd like to keep it under $1000 and have shot quite a few bows (everything listed below). I rifle hunt roughly 28 days a year chasing elk and spend a lot of time hikingin the thick timber of NW MT.  Not uncommon for me to put in 10-20 miles a day.  With that in mind, anyone have any thoughts on the Mathews No Cam HTR, Z2, Creed XS?  PSE decree HD or premonition HD?  Hoyt Nitrum or Charger?  Bowtech carbon knight?  Elite energy 32?  Thanks in advance for your help.

i love the elite IMO its the most shootable bow on the list i have shot them all as well minus the 0cam and elite just felt the best in my hands and really thats what its about what feels the best when you shoot it not when i shoot it. i will say this elite has the best warranty in the business 

cowboystl1 said:
what feels the best when you shoot it not when i shoot it. i will say this elite has the best warranty in the business

Thanks for the info, I totally understand what you're saying.  Was more interested in warranty, customer service, dependability and best bow for the type of hunting I mentioned.  Not really knowing a whole lot about the way a bow should feel, I was just looking for some help in those areas.

I'm a Hoyt guy myself, I hear the Nitrum is a sweet shooting fast bow, haven't dared shoot one for fear I'll want one, good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out today and shot a few more bows.  The prime ion, elite energy 32, and xpedition xcentric.  Was pretty impressed by all of them.  Very quiet on the shot, smooth draw, good valley and let off.  Maybe it was they way they were set up, but felt better than most of the other bows I shot so far.  Kind of intrigued by the Xpedition, anyone have any experience?  How important is it to have a bow that's been around for a long time if the need for parts arises while on a hunt? Not a lot of parts besides cams/limbs that aren't aftermarket these days.

i like a solid back wall a easy peak and valley speed is not my bag im all about shootablity and forgiveness (not that there is a lot of forgiveness in a shot) but if it feels comfortable in my hand and has a nice natural draw and hold. feels good on release im a happy man.

Before i got my Bowtech Experience, I shot the Carbon Knight. It is noticeably lighter! But lighter doesn't always feel better. I picked the Bowtech experience due to a smoother shot. It had no vibration after the shot. I noticed the Carbon Night had a little vibration. Best advice I got when choosing a bow was to stand 5-10 ft from a target so you can't miss it, close your eyes, and shoot. It's amazing what you can feel. Strongly encouage you to try this! Good luck with a new bow!

SPOTnSTALK said:
stalker-logo.png

This looks fun -----> Traditional Archery

Someday I want to be able to shoot long bow and recurve. It would be a fun goal! However, when i'm looking a trophy bull(I Hope!) in the eyes, I'll be hoping I have a compound in hand!

Can't tell you anything about the E32 other than I shot one before the E35 and bought the 35. Less shock and felt more forgiving. Have 2 of the 35s now and I love shooting both. Shot Hoyt's for over 12 years and switched. The Elites feel better in my hand, at the shot and I feel like I shoot better with them. Confidence in your bow makes all the difference in the world.

I just saw your price limit. If that's for your whole setup, I'd look for a bare now at around $500. It seems like the accessories usually cost about as much as a bow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back