Looking for advice... 2018 1st Rifle Elk Hunt GMU 53 New Mexico (Taos)

Counselor

Jul 7, 2018
I am new here and thought I'd reach out regarding my upcoming hunt this fall. We will be hunting the first rifle elk season in GMU 53 of New Mexico. Any advice on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Hunting with two others who have some elk hunting experience. We are all in pretty good shape and are debating car-camping versus backpacking in deep and trying to nail down the general areas we want to focus on. Unfortunately we are from out of state and will not likely have an opportunity to scout. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best regards! Chet

Hey Chet,

Welcome to the site! I?m sure you?ve read it somewhere by now, but if not....
Unit 53 is very steep!

Some sections are worse than others, but at the end of the day it?s just steep.  So it?s great to hear you?re in shape because you guys will be needing it.

Personally I?d recommend backpacking in and trying to nail down general areas.

I don?t have any secrets spots for you unfortunately, but maybe someone else can shed some light. 

I just know many people who have hunted it and the people who hunted from a truck or trailer had a much more difficult time hunting compared to the people who backpacked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our NM Unit 53 hunt last fall was a blast despite the fact we didn?t fill our tags. As many suggested this unit is very steep and being in shape will be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back