made hatchet sheath out of a (really) old boot

Billy Goat

Sep 5, 2017
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->IMAG1609.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]

I got a hatchet some years ago at a garage sale, cheap. Didnt come with a sheath, and probably didnt HAVE to have one....

I have a pile of old gear in the garage that I challenge the kids/wife to sell on craigslist, or donate to Goodwill.

While looking at that pile yesterday morning, I noticed an old pair of boots that no American would pay money for. Soles delaminated, leather in bad shape. no hint of waterproofing. But the shaft (top) of the boots was in pretty decent shape, and the two pull straps looked like they were just aching for a belt to run through them. :) A quick google search proved that I wasnt the first guy to have this idea. :)

So..... out came my leatherworking toolbox, and off came that boot top.

first step was to remove one of the straps, and re-attach it to the other side
then I just fitted the hatchet in the leather, and started stitching. Final wrap got glued on. It doesnt look glorious, but it wears good, and doesnt rub anywhere. doesnt flop around, and the sheath keeps a good hold on the hatchet. it\'s just a friction/gravity fit, but I think it\'s staying put.

Yes, you can buy a better looking solution on Amazon for $10..... but I find an inappropriate amount of satisfaction in repurposing my own old stuff.

Merry Christmas to each of you gents (and a few ladies). May the Lords day find you in Gods grace and in a warm place in the company of loved ones with too much food.

Looks like it will work. :upthumb:

I like to build my own stuff. I usually look for pics then build mine better and stronger.

great reporposing!!

personally i think all axes should have mask. i have a tiny hatchet i sharpened and accidentally turned it into a straight razor..i mean it will ribbon thin paper and shave my arm. it makes no sense not covering that edge. it protects the edge and everything that edge can bounce into..like my shin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back