Making a dream a reality

Tbunao

Feb 6, 2015
When I was younger my life was consumed with fishing the small native trout streams of pa and chasing whatever critter was in season from sun up to sun down.  Even when I reached the age of the social scene of high school I would spend my Friday nights renting Eastman videos or another video that involved hunting animals that I could only fathom of hunting.  Back in the early 90's it never seemed like a realistic thing to do a DIY hunt for some new animal in some foreign place.  It was then I began to fall in love with Montana and dreamt of living there someday. 

Life in general lead me down another path after high school.  I spent my free time traveling to cities all up the east coast filming and riding bmx for a company out of Kentucky.  It wasn't until one day of fishing that I realized what I was missing... the outdoors.

Only after a few short months after that fishing trip I found myself with a bow in hand and consumed with chasing mature whitetails.  Being 2013 the DIY hunting was now a reality to me and I began making plans to do my first elk hunt.

I began to do the Train to Hunt competitions to help with the physical conditioning and bought the Elk101 dvd.  On September 15, 2015 a buddy and I set out for Colorado.  The sheer vastness of the backcountry really lets you know how small you really are in this big world.  That week was nothing short of amazing.  The struggles physicality and mentally of it was everything I hoped for minus one thing... the weight of meat in a pack.  We had come close to sealing the deal on a great bull.  As he paced back and forth behind a large blowdown, snot hanging to the ground and screeching bugles falling silent to the sound of air emptying his diaphragm his cow made their way past me and to the caller.... HOOKED!!

I had asked myself around Christmas, "why not?", "why not move?"  I had no answer to myself other than do I have the guts.... On January 2, 2019 I turned in my 2 week resignation and began posting non necessities on craigslist.  On January 16th I loaded up a U-haul with my dog, a few belongings, and hunting equipment and began the 2900 mile trip to a state I have never set foot in with no job lined up and don't know a single soul.

My biggest regret is not doing this sooner.

I'm looking forward to learning about the way these animals think, move and the areas they call home.  Sorry for the long winded introduction

Tim

cohunter14 said:
One heck of an intro Tim! That?s a great story, hope it works out well for you.

Thank you.  I'm hoping to learn as much as possible prior to this season.  Try to shorten up the learning curve a little.  I know as well that a person can read all they can get their hands on and watch all the videos they can but nothing trumps in field experience. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back