Making homemade dehydrated meals?

EatElk

Dec 31, 2012
Anyone have a good dehydrated meal recipe or tips? I'm wanting to make my own this year and save a few bucks.

I'm too paranoid that the food would spoil.  Do NOT want food intoxication in the back country!  We still have Mountain House, but also use Idahoan instant potatoes-the loaded up variety-usually <$1.00.  Also the foil pouch tuna, salmon-even Spam-but the empty pouches need to be carried back out.  There are lots of little microwave type noodle meals available-Kraft mac and cheese-put it in a zip loc freezer bag, add water, let sit.  The noodles get soft and the bag doesn't melt with boiling water.  I experimented at home a little first.  Remember that food tastes way better when you've been hiking your behind off, so it may not be a culinary delight at home, but hunger improves flavor.

I buy dry soup mixes and will add canned chicken or tuna to them when I cook them up to get more protein.  There are usually some good dehydrated potato soups.  I'll also get Yakisoba which is basically Ramen noodles with better flavor, comes in a container that all you have to do is add boiling water, add canned chicken.  Easy and cheap!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back