Making your own brats and sausage

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
I've been looking at the packages of seasoning in the local stores and each of them call for a different amount of cutting meats and different weights of the primary meat. I?m reaching out to see what has been working for the folks on this forum. Also, when you grind, are you taking your meat out the night before and letting it defrost half way, or do you run it through completely thawed? I just got a new grinder and no longer using my buddies industrial one.

A lot depends on if you are using just pork fat or if you are using something like a pork shoulder. If it?s just fat, you can get away with a much lower percentage than if it?s the meat as well. As far as grinding goes, it?s definitely easier if the meat is cooler and even a little bit frozen than if it?s room temp.

Derek's being nice - NEVER grind fully thawed meat!  At least that's my recommendation.  If you bought a decent size grinder, it'll go through the semi frozen meat just fine and you'll not have nearly the mess.

If you're making bulk sausage(breakfast, italian, chorizo), I prefer a higher fat ratio than say summer sausage or even brats.  Keep in mind 100% game meat has a tendency to dry out so be careful when cooking/smoking.  Adding fat, ground pork or a pork butt will help but some prefer just the game meat.

Brad's link has some good info as well.

I've made a ton of sausage in a ton of ways with venison, wild pig, and domestic. Most chefs will tell you to definitely grind cold, if not frozen, and cool down your grinding parts in the freezer of you have a huge amount (the friction makes that pork or beef fat heat up and sour, especially if you are storing it for a while). As far as recipes, Hank Shaw is great and an incredible source for techniques and ratios (honest-food.net).  I also found a copy of Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book on Amazon for a cheap price and it has become my go-to (it was a autographed copy that I think the seller mistakenly got rid of). Hope this helps... just remember, if you make it with pork fat and freeze, don't let it go over 6 months because the pork fat will start to sour.

I made some brats and ?only? used somewhere between 15-20% fat to lean. They turned out great.

Always work VERY cold- meat, fat, and gear (as possible). If your fingers aren?t getting cold then you?re flirting with trouble.
4cb4b8ee2b5a883103efac1c5e8de7c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back