Maps for Smartphone and GPS stuff

COLOelkman

Dec 28, 2012
I've recently purchased a smartphone (android) and am interested in any map apps that others have used.  Ideally I'd like to have it show private and public boundaries.  I'm not sure of the accuracy of a smartphone GPS would be compared to a regular GPS.  Also I'm interested in the ease of using a smartphone as a GPS relative to the ease of marking waypoints and other normal GPS tasks.  I have the Samsung Galaxie Note 2 and a Delorme PN60  (with SPOT).  I'm thinking of selling my PN60 and the SPOT and getting the Inreach to have 2 way texting.  Any shared experience on any of this would be appreciated as I'm not a techie and new to the smartphone world.

Check out Hunting GPS Maps,  they have maps for Garmin that has everything on it that you would want.

a guy on here said look into a program called backcountry navigator.  apparently you can download the maps so you don't have to have service and it will do everything a gps will.  I'm going to have to check it out

Mountain Bowhunter said:
a guy on here said look into a program called backcountry navigator.  apparently you can download the maps so you don't have to have service and it will do everything a gps will.  I'm going to have to check it out

I'm the guy.  Used Backcounty Navigator on Saturday to get back to my ice fishing spot.  Accuracy for me is often within 3 feet if not in thick trees.  As I've mentioned before the ease of use and functionality of it is awesome.  I have both aerial images and topo maps of all my areas I hunt on my phone.  It's nice to see the aerial image and then be able to switch over to a topo. 

I do have an overlay on mine from my county that shows private and public boundaries.  I hunt near a lot of private land and have found them to be very accurate.

HuntinKyhl said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

I'm the guy.  Used Backcounty Navigator on Saturday to get back to my ice fishing spot.  Accuracy for me is often within 3 feet if not in thick trees.  As I've mentioned before the ease of use and functionality of it is awesome.  I have both aerial images and topo maps of all my areas I hunt on my phone.  It's nice to see the aerial image and then be able to switch over to a topo. 

I do have an overlay on mine from my county that shows private and public boundaries.  I hunt near a lot of private land and have found them to be very accurate.

man that program just sounds awesome.  i haven't figured out it they have it for the iphone.  maybe i'll have to sell that thing and get an android

well actually i just found out that accuterra(the people that make backcountry navigator) was made for the iphone.  backcountry navigator is just the android version.  so I may have to get accuterra for the iphone.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
well actually i just found out that accuterra(the people that make backcountry navigator) was made for the iphone.  backcountry navigator is just the android version.  so I may have to get accuterra for the iphone.

You'll like it.  Now you can keep that iphone of yours.....at least until you find the next thing that android does better. ;D

My wife wants an iphone.....and it just kills me!

HuntinKyhl said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

You'll like it.  Now you can keep that iphone of yours.....at least until you find the next thing that android does better. ;D

My wife wants an iphone.....and it just kills me!

haha. I've looked but I can't find the main app.  just maps for various ski resorts

I have the iPhone 5 and downloaded MotionX-GPS which is free, but pretty powerful. You can download Google Images and Bing maps within itl for free too, and have all the same functions of a GPS.
But after reading I think the best mapping app for iPhone is Gaia GPS, more comparable to the Backcountry Navigator. I think Gaia is like $30. I will prob purchase it soon.
These apps are just as easy to use as a GPS unit, and the new GPS systems on the phone are damn good too.

GameSlayer said:
I have the iPhone 5 and downloaded MotionX-GPS which is free, but pretty powerful. You can download Google Images and Bing maps within itl for free too, and have all the same functions of a GPS.
But after reading I think the best mapping app for iPhone is Gaia GPS, more comparable to the Backcountry Navigator. I think Gaia is like $30. I will prob purchase it soon.
These apps are just as easy to use as a GPS unit, and the new GPS systems on the phone are damn good too.

well i'll have to check that out.  I'll probly end up getting one of these apps, way cheaper than a gps

Mountain Bowhunter said:
GameSlayer said:

well i'll have to check that out.  I'll probly end up getting one of these apps, way cheaper than a gps

They are pretty sweet, only problem is the battery life of the phone. So if your on a multi day hunt in the backcountry you have to come up with solutions for the power. Either turn phone to airplane mode and then back on when you use GPS app; then you can't make a real track but still can use waypoints and see current location.
Or charge phone somehow.

GameSlayer said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
GameSlayer said:

They are pretty sweet, only problem is the battery life of the phone. So if your on a multi day hunt in the backcountry you have to come up with solutions for the power. Either turn phone to airplane mode and then back on when you use GPS app; then you can't make a real track but still can use waypoints and see current location.
Or charge phone somehow.

already have a solution to that.  goal zero nomad 7 solar panel. charges an iphone in an hour or two.  I started a thread on here about their products

Mountain Bowhunter said:
GameSlayer said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
GameSlayer said:

Or charge phone somehow.

already have a solution to that.  goal zero nomad 7 solar panel. charges an iphone in an hour or two.  I started a thread on here about their products
I'll check it out, I was looking at the extended battery pack and charging station. I think I'm gonna have to get a Brunton solar system for the filming I do anyway..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back