Measuring blackpowder question

beran_10

Jan 17, 2013
Looking for some expertise in measuring black powder? I was wondering, if you measure powder with a tube that has the grain markings on it, do you tap the tube and let the powder settle and then read the powder measurement? Or would the actual powder size be the measurement when the powder is initially poured and unsettled? I understand that as long as I'm consistent it probably won't matter, but I would like to know how many grains I am actually shooting. Would like to know if anybody has ever compared these two methods for measuring powder? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have always used the tap then measure method.  I'm pretty sure thats what the instructions say to do.  Also if you dont tap how could you know you dont have an air pocket.  Tap then measure.

I usually pour mine so that there is a bit of a rounded top and then tap it a few times.  My powder measure has a funnel that rotates over the help with pouring and it smoothes the surface flush so that after a few taps any powder remaining above the top is gone and I think I get pretty consistent measurements of powder.

Pretty sure I have same brass measurer I fill with plastic TC dispencer. Fill to top,tap,refill if needed,then swing funnel cap over. Very accurate and consistant.
I fill several TC speedloaders same way and take those with me in field.
I always tap measuring and after loading in mz then tamp......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back