Meat care, from field to freezer?

Lark Bunting

Sep 14, 2016
Sorry to repeat this but it's valuable to me to get as much perspective as possible. Input appreciated (don't feel obligated if you replied on the other forum...)

I apologize if this is a repeat but I would like to learn from the experts.
The simple facts: truck was at trail head, camp was 2 miles in, dead elk was 3.125 miles in. We were scheduled to be there from Saturday - Monday.
I'm hoping you can tell me exactly what you do from Field to Freezer. I will share my recent experience, and I have been told that we didn't have to rush and worry ourselves like we did. We packed an elk out all night and it made for a miserable time. Yes, it was worth it, but it was seriously miserable.
We were up at 5:00 AM on Saturday, drove 5.5 hours, packed in 2 hours. My bull was shot at 5:20 at night. It ran 27 yards and crashed but we waited about 20 minutes before looking for the arrow, blood, and actually saw the elk dead at 5:40 PM. Photos, a brief conversation, retrieving packs from the place of the shot took about 20 minutes and we began the field dressing in the field around 6:00. I had never done the boneless method and was learning from a newbie as well. The first load of meat was coming off the mountain around 10:00 PM and we were just over 3 miles to the truck where I had my large cooler stuffed with frozen jugs of water and two old sleeping bags to help insulate.
It took us 2.5+ hours to get to the truck and 2+ hours to hike back to the site. We began packing just after 10:15 PM and got the last load of meat to the truck at 6:30 AM (Out, in, Out). We slept for 3 hours and had to go back in to retrieve camp and the bull's head/antlers. We never slept in camp and chose to rest for the few hours at the truck at the trail head. We were absolutely dead at 6:30 AM, dehydrated, sore, blistered, and quite frankly at that time I had regretted shooting. (Yeah, I was being a bit of a baby but I'm being honest here)
The bull died in a small creek in dark timber. My initial impression was that we could hang the meat over the creek or create a lattice of logs over the creek and leave them until morning, while we packed out our first load and hiked back into camp. This would have put us in camp around 2:30 AM. Still not a great night sleep.
The other option was to hang it all over the creek and head to camp around 10:15 PM, in camp around 11:15 and a good night sleep after a back strap steak and a shot of whiskey. That would have left the meat hanging over night, over a creek in the shade but we'd have had to pack meat out all day on Sunday in 80° heat.
One last option (but not very likely since our camp was fairly open and no creek near by ) was to pack all the meat the 1.125 miles back and forth to camp and deal with it in the AM. I didn't like this option since it was hot outside.
I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for here or if I'd actually change anything at all, I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this since I'm taking my son back up this weekend. I've never been so nervous to have elk encounters as I feel we may have a pretty good shot at another elk. I say that since at one point we had 5 elk bugling around us while my bull was down. We had a bull come inside 15 yards as we were field dressing my bull and while I went to retrieve the head on Sunday my buddy and son were in camp packing up and had a 4x4 bull come inside 12 yards from where they were resting on a log. This area is littered with elk! I want to make sure that if we get another down that we make the correct decision on getting it back to the cooler without causing undue stress.
Field to Freezer:
Once I got home with the elk all deboned and in the cooler full of frozen jugs I knew I'd be okay that night but began butchering it the next morning. I worked on meat all day. That's when I met up with a member here (dropping off my elk head to get euromount cleaned) and he told me to not rush the process and that I was okay to throw it in the freezer and thaw out pieces and process it as time allowed.
At this point I now have about 3/4 of the elk processed down to steaks, roasts and scraps for grind/jerky, all packaged up nicely and about 1/4 of the elk in a game bag inside of a trash bag in the bottom of my freezer.
As I mentioned before, I am quite new to ALL of this and I really enjoy learning from the pro's. I value your knowledge and experience so please share your thoughts!!!

Tom, great question. I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers, but here is what I would have done if I were you:

- Quarter the elk, like you did, and get it hanging in a tree. It isn't going to spoil overnight in the mountains, especially if it's off the ground. If I had game bags with me, I would have been sure to get the meat in the bags.

- Head back to camp, get some food and some much needed rest. Packing elk when you are tired like that can only lead to bad things, like injury.

- Wake up early so I could get the first load out before it really warmed up. Get it to the truck and make sure it's on ice. If I needed to run to town to get more ice, I would do it then.

- Head back in and get the second load and get it out to the truck and on ice. Again, make sure everything is iced up and in good shape.

At that point, I would have assessed everything and seen how I felt. Realistically you probably still had time for an evening hunt and could hunt Monday morning if you wanted to. If I felt good and rested and wanted to get out of there, I would go back and pack out camp. But more than likely, I would head back to camp (with a few beers or whiskey) and RELAX for the evening. Get another good night's rest and then pack out the next morning. And I would leave it up to my son and buddy if they wanted to hunt or just relax and celebrate with me.

Once you get the meat home, just be sure to keep it cool and on ice. I try to avoid freezing the meat before processing so I don't have to re-freeze it, but I don't think it's the end of the world to do so if it's going to take you some time to process it.

Just my two cents so take it for what it's worth.

So I'll follow along with your scenario as if it was me.

Your bull was shot at 5:27 PM, confirmed elk dead at 5:40.
After the congratulations and photo ops, the work would have started.

Some things to consider though:
- It's late in the evening, so it's only going to get cooler. Depending on your energylevels, there are times where "smarter not harder" comes to mind. You have a few options from here.
1) You can start the gutless method and take your time. Again, you are not battling heat or working about it. So I'd go slow, get it done right, and safe. (Cutting in the dark is not always optimal for a person who just killed a bull... crazy knife time :p )
2) If you're tired and not in a rush.... gut the thing and go relax. The temps will drop, so if you gut the elk, you're going to have that thing cooled well, and you can pick it back up in the morning.
3) Gutless and debone.  Get it all done at night and don't even worry about getting it on ice. The mountains temps will be cool enough to help bring the meat temps down. You can get you a nice meal, sleep, and then start the pack out (safely) in the morning.

In your situation I would have done #3. (Unless I was dead tired)
I would have quartered it, deboned it, hung the bags, and then ate a victory meal and slept!

Next morning I would have started my packing out as the sun was coming up and all of the meat would have hit the truck/coolers in time where there would be no spoilage.

I've got a degree in safety and I've become a bit of a snob now when it comes to things. Not really, but I look at it like this. I want to do everything I can to minimize risk in the field. I can safely quarter and debone an animal under flashlight power once I've calmed down.

The thing I don't want to be doing is traveling along distance with heavy packs in the dark. I'd hate to see someone fall, roll, or break something. Not to mention you're dealing with emotional rollercoasters and being tired!

cohunter14 said:
Tom, great question. I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers, but here is what I would have done if I were you:

- Quarter the elk, like you did, and get it hanging in a tree. It isn't going to spoil overnight in the mountains, especially if it's off the ground. If I had game bags with me, I would have been sure to get the meat in the bags.

- Head back to camp, get some food and some much needed rest. Packing elk when you are tired like that can only lead to bad things, like injury.

- Wake up early so I could get the first load out before it really warmed up. Get it to the truck and make sure it's on ice. If I needed to run to town to get more ice, I would do it then.

- Head back in and get the second load and get it out to the truck and on ice. Again, make sure everything is iced up and in good shape.

At that point, I would have assessed everything and seen how I felt. Realistically you probably still had time for an evening hunt and could hunt Monday morning if you wanted to. If I felt good and rested and wanted to get out of there, I would go back and pack out camp. But more than likely, I would head back to camp (with a few beers or whiskey) and RELAX for the evening. Get another good night's rest and then pack out the next morning. And I would leave it up to my son and buddy if they wanted to hunt or just relax and celebrate with me.

Once you get the meat home, just be sure to keep it cool and on ice. I try to avoid freezing the meat before processing so I don't have to re-freeze it, but I don't think it's the end of the world to do so if it's going to take you some time to process it.

Just my two cents so take it for what it's worth.

cohunter14-I would have gone with this right here....Great information...
Working in the dark, tired, knife,SON,stress and worry.... Talk about all the negatives working against you... Glad to hear you got it done..

This exact situation is something I've been wondering about myself as someone just getting into elk hunting​, great post and answers

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back