Meat Processors?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
What do you pay to get your elk processed?
I had mine cut, plastic wrapped and then paper wrapped for $220.00 this year. I feel like that was a good deal. It was also deboned when delivered to the butcher. This was in Colorado.

I do it myself, I bought a grinder from cabelas 3 years ago. so far it's handled 3 deer and 2 elk. so time and the initial 200 bucks for the grinder, it's actually kinda fun.

Adding up all the steaks, burger, and sausage usually adds up to around a $1 per pound of finished product.

I have been doing all my own for 40+ years now, But from what other people have told me, they charge $300.00 to $350.00 for a Elk, but here in Michigan, most places get at-least $100.00 just for a deer.

Kevin

$150-$200 for an elk depending on weight, I bring in quartered up and have them cut into steaks roasts and burger with beef fat added to the burger.  Price canreally go up if you do much jerky and salami.  Everything is vacuum sealed and the last pack is as fresh as the first.

My son drew  a youth tag this last yr for a cow hunt we took it in whole within a few hours of him killing it. Minus the hide, legs, and head of course. It weighed 284 pounds we had 20 pounds of jerky and 20 pounds of pepperoni made and paid around 330 if i remember right.

I bow hunted a long ways from home and was blessed with a nice bull we still had another week and a half to hunt and two more tags so we took the bull into town and dropped it of at the local butcher it was late and we had to call him he came down and took the bull for us nice guy. I said so give me a ball park figure on what you think i might owe you. He said  im not going to weigh it tonight but if say around 270 give oror take a bit. The only bone we brought in was in the legs he charged 89 cents a pound and it was a good sized elk so i said ok as if i had a choice. A week later we bring in another elk and i check up front to see what i owe on mine she says 416.52 cut and wrap only i about crapped my self my buddy asks what did it weigh  she says 468 pounds and that it was the second or third biggest elk they had seen in there in the 9 yrs they had owned the shop it filled two 150  quart coolers

If you harvest every year its well worth the investment to start doing it your self.I am very picky about how mine is done.4 years ago I spend 900$ just to have sausage made 500 lbs after i did all the processing ,so now I own all the stuff to do sausage also.

Just started processing my own with my brothers.  We did 2 elk and 3 deer.  We did all specialty meat and the elk was burger, steaks, and roasts.  In the end it would have cost around 500 to 600 through a processor and cost us 100 each which paid for spices, a scale, paper, plastic bags, and a slicer.  Will do my own from now on.  The initial cost can get expensive but if you get a little here and there it pays for itself very quickly.

I cut and wrap my own deer & elk been doing my deer for 40 yrs, started elk hunting in 2010 and have done them myself. :) 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back