meat

hooter44

May 20, 2013
got a ? for you guys who know what your doing. if i hike 3-5 miles in and actually am fortunate to harvest a elk how can i get that meat out before the heat ruins it. i read stories where it took all day to get it out if its 80 degrees out side that dont give you much time before its to late

you would be surprised how quickly you can get meat cooled down on a hot day if you work fast.  using the gutless method, i can have all my meat bagged up and hanging in the shade in about 60 minutes.  i hunt about 6-7 miles from my truck, but bike in 4.5 of those miles with a trailer.  after getting the meat back to my camp, i load up the trailer with all the meat and haul down the mountain to the truck.  i always have large coolers that i bring loaded with ice (with a 10 lb block of dry ice inside the keep the regular ice from melting), unless the forecast calls for cooler weather.  once i have it on ice i have plenty of time to head back up the mountain to break camp and get the rest of my gear.

never had an issue with spoiled meat.

i was once lucky enough to take an elk half a mile from my truck and was packing out elk in shorts and a t-shirt and was on the road by noon of opening day....but not sure i'll ever get that lucky again.

There have been a lot of great discussions on here in the past about this topic. Maybe do a search or look back. With that said, if you have any nearby mountain creeks, they are like a refrigerator. You can place sticks just above water and place the meat on the sticks just above the water or some people place the meat in a waterproof bag and submerge the meat in the creek. Another thing that works great like wapiti_will mentioned was getting the meat into game bags because they give the meat air flow and keep the bugs off. Hang the game bags in the shade well off the ground. And remember,  the shade moves as the day goes by. Plan for it. Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck!!!

If you do harvest one, just do whatever it takes to cool the meat quickly and pack it out.  I have placed it near creeks or if there are strong limbs that hang over the creek ill hang it. Just make sure you dont get the meat wet. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back