Mechanical vs Fixed

wpwiest

May 28, 2013
I have always shot Mechanical NAP Spitfire 100 grain with traditional long veins (4inch) and never had a problem with pass thru or accuracy on deer. On our trip this year we were considering all shooting the same fixed broadhead, the G5 Montec 100 grain, but I have heard that it could drastically change my shot, especially with shooting longer veins. Is this true? This is my first elk hunt, so I have never shot one with the mechanicals I have now, and I have never shot a fixed blade ever.
Mechanical or Fixed and why?

Never had an issue with 100 grain Montec and long veins.

On a WA level ..............expendables are still taboo aren't they?

my fixed and mechanical heads shoot the same for me. I shoot nap thunderhead edge 100gr and swhacker 100gr. I'm going to use the thunderhead edge on my elk hunt just because I've only seen 1 elk hunt with the swhackers and 1 less thing to worry about when I'm 900 or so miles away from home and probably only have 1 shot! I shoot blazer vanes also.

Vanes should not make a difference and if anything the longer ones are better for fixed blades. Colorado will not allow mechanical BH from my understanding. Not sure where you are going so be sure and check if they are legal for elk.

I have always shot fixed blades.  In Idaho mechanical broad heads are still illegal. What state are you hunting in?

Colorado allows mechanical heads, the length of the vane helps, but the helical plays the biggest part in stabilizing your arrow with fixed blade heads.

I shot fixed blade for 34 years and had no problems work good, I now shoot grim reaper mechanical and last year took down my elk in 60 yards, I only switched because with the newer bows I now shoot out 90 yards and the story is for long distance a mechanical works better but I have not compared to find out the diff, I only care if it gets the job done and both have done good for me. 

Turbo what kind of penetration did you get on your 60 yard shot and what kind of k.e. are you shooting if you dont mind me asking

Hycntryhtr, thanks for correcting me on the mechanical heads in Colorado. I checked it this morning and you are correct, they are allowed.

Has that recently changed or has it always been allowed?

hooter44 said:
Turbo what kind of penetration did you get on your 60 yard shot and what kind of k.e. are you shooting if you dont mind me asking
A little misunderstanding I took a 10 yard shoot and the elk went down after traveling 60 yards. the arrow sank to the fletchings but did cut through a rib bone first. I calculated my KE a few months ago but honestly I dont remember what it was. but I shoot a heavy arrow and a heavy broad head. it is all about the KE.

I just have to ask…What does everyone think of the new Rage Hypodermic’s. I shot a turkey with one this year and they worked great. That being said I’ve shot lots of deer with the old Rage and never had an issue either (other than a bent blade or shaft). The new are all steel and seem to be extremely well built. If I were to mention this on the other BOW hunting SITE I’m on regularly I would be banished to a dark dungeon someplace far away… :D

Thoughts?

I guess the thing with me is that ANY broadhead is going to work well on a good shot, its the poor shots where a fixed head tends to shine over mechanicals. I've certainly hit more than 1 shoulder blade in my bowhunting career, yet I've recovered every animals after having my heads smash through the bone.

I had this discussion in bear camp last year with a friend of mine who said his bow would be able to go head to head with mine on a shoulder shot. He was shooting 2 blade rages at 70 pounds on a 390 grain arrow vs my setup which was 70 pounds with a 490 grain arrow with a slick trick. I had taken a 400 pound boar that morning and after he was skinned we set him up to do penetration tests at 20 yards. At 20 yards with a direct shoulder hit his arrow did not even pierce through the bone, while my arrow blew through the front shoulder bone and was hanging by the fletches on the off shoulder (again, through the bone).

One situation where a good fixed head saved my bacon was one year where I shot a cow. She was heavily quartering away and jumped the string, resulting in a pretty dang poor hit, to be honest. Luckily for me the arrow completely smashed her entire hip socket and broke her pelvis - she went 80 yards and that was that. A good strong fixed blade head saved me a TON of trouble that day.

Again, ANY broadhead will perform fantastic on a good hit, its those less than desirable shots (and it happens to ALL of us, if it hasn't then you just haven't been at it long enough) where I feel that a good fixed head will really shine.

Msd- I completely agree. For the last 7 or 8 yrs I was on a great streak of tipping over a few good animals with good shots, and didn't think I would be one of the guys who would make a bad shot. Last year on the perfect set up 35 yds wide open with a slight quarter away I shot a cow... In the neck. I don't know how it happened.. I replay that shot everyday in my head and it still makes me sick. My montecs all flew great. I screwed up!! You can shoot what ever, Indians did it with sticks and rocks.. It's about shot placement.

depends on your speed if your shooting over 300fps a mechanical with a heavy helical is more accurate, if your around 290fps a fixed blade less helical may be better. I prefer a broadhead that shoots the same as my field points so there is no second guessing my shots from 3D shoots to the field same bow same sight pure confidence in my set-up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back