merriams

bnsafe

Mar 2, 2014
im in Durango for a few mos working. guys just told me turkey tags are otc here. if I could kill a Merriam I would just have my Osceola left for my turkey slam. any hints on which direction to start scoutin from Durango. not your spot, just a direction

thanks derek, im gonna run by the dow office here in Durango if I get off work early enough tom.

BN..it\'s me pointysticks.

i just started.. i have killed many RIO\'s..but the rest are not here for me. good luck..there is a good OTC unit in AZ for merriums as well. where i hunt in AZ for deer..i find Goulds all the time. is the Goulds on the \"slam\" list? that bird is gigantic!!

There\'s an SWA access road over by the Super 8 that will take you into some great turkey hunting areas.
Also, if you head over towards Cortez there are normally a bunch in that area on National Forest land.
The area around Lemon and Vallecito have turkey on them but lots of private land in there.

thanks guys, I will check out the super 8 road. havnt had a chance to get to the dow office yet. been very busy.
cliff, the slam is rio, eastern, Merriam, an Osceola . there are other sub species like the gould, which I didn\'t realize was in Arizona I thought they were just in mexico,, an a couple others in mexico. im just after the main 4 for my slam.

The state wildlife area that is behind the Super8 is Bodo SWA the road can take you all the way to Hesperus.
I would also recommend checking the state land off of 140, and Perins Peak SWA on 160 just outside of town going towards Hesperus or Cortez. There are a bunch of birds in that area if you can locate them.

thanks lew, I gotta work the next 4 days but will be scouting the following 3 days. I appreciate it.

I drove all the way to Hesperus an didn\'t see bodo swa. I will look again this weekend. must be just off the road. oh well, cant scout them till march 31st anyway.

There\'s a lot of state land in that area. Perhaps a map is in order?
You can also check the CDOW website as they list most of the SWAs.

\"bnsafe\" said:
. there are other sub species like the gould, which I didn\'t realize was in Arizona I thought they were just in mexico,, .

yea. the southern unit we hunt has them. the flock..no rafter of turkey is getting huge. first year i saw them was 3 years ago. about 8 birds. this year, maybe 30 birds. several of them have this big blaze orange flag stapled to a wing. it has a number on them.

last year, we found the birds, and we had our bows. we watched them and crept away, leaving them alone. a few minutes later, out comes a game warden. he asked, \"you like my birds?\"
\"yes!.those are Goulds right?\"

he confirmed and said something about them being relocated to the area..and PROTECTED. you actually cannot draw a tag there. he said he had his cuffs ready for us if he saw us shoot. he was watching us. yikes. glad we walk the straight and narrow..

the birds are awesome..i bet they are 50% bigger than the Rios i see and hunt. they look huge.

on a side note, the game warden had a biologist with him. big 15x binos and some huge spotting scope. he said he counted 100+ deer. hahah..i think we found 7 of them that year. that bio guy had eagle eyes!

lady I work with has 35 acres that butts back up against blm land, says she hears birds gobbling every morning. an gave me permission, merriams here I come

Private access is so much better in Colorado. On public I never set a decoy out for fear of a shotgunner blasting it and me. You should be good to go! Post a picture when you get your bird.

thanks guys, im excited. she wants the meat, but for private access to a sub species I havnt taken its well worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back