?Middle elevation? in Colorado

Counselor

Jul 7, 2018
I am planning elk and mule deer hunts in Colorado this fall during the 2nd rifle season. A lot of folks talk about the critters being at ?middle elevation? during this hunt but everyone seems to have a different idea of what elevation range that actually includes...

I have my suspicions but I am new to this. What do you think ?middle elevation? means? Assume we are talking about GMUs in the western half of Colorado that range from roughly 6,000 feet to 14,000 feet above sea level. For example, units 74, 75 or 77. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Chet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn?t base your hunt off of just elevation. Unless there is significant snow before then, elk will still be high and some will be low and some will be in between.

An easier way to judge this is to use the hunt atlas on the CPW website. It will show you the primary summer grounds and the primary winter grounds. Depending on how much snow has fallen, you can get a pretty good guess as to where they?ll be at that time.

cohunter14:

Yeah that?s a good call. I have actually looked at this data on google earth and OnXMaps. I can view the concentrations areas in September and November but CPW either didn?t release or didn?t collect that data for October which is the month of my hunt. But you are right that areas in between those concentration areas are where they are likely to be found. Thanks for responding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Counselor:

I?ve hunted elk unit 74, found critters from 6000 to 10000 in that area so I wouldn?t worry too much about elevation. Keep an eye on snowfall but for the most part find areas of food and water. You?ll find something hanging around an area that has those basic needs. Being mobile in that area is key. There is an abundance of food and water in that area and lots of cover too. Tough country in 74 but it?s a beautiful area and plenty of elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back