Minimum and Maximum Power on Your Scope

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
What is the minimum and maximum power that you have on your scope? What reasons do you have for choosing those? As they say, there is no one right answer, just the one that you have your own faith and reasoning in. :)

3.5-10X50 on the Winchester.

I usually keep it about about 6 during the hunt. Lower power if I\'m in the woods.

It has BDC, but I don\'t use it. The rifle is sighted in 2.5 high at 100 yards. This makes it easy to line up a shot out to my range of about 250 (yea my elk last year was .270 yards, but I wasn\'t rushed, the elk wasn\'t moving, and I had a rock solid rest).

AB

I have several different scopes on different rifles. From straight 6x up to 6x24. I don\'t believe I\'ve ever shot anything except prairie dogs with the scope cranked over 7 power. Like Dana, I keep them turned down for hunting, but do crank them up to survey distant targets or for that long range sniper attempt. I much prefer a light weight rifle & putting a monster scope on them kind of defeats the cause , for me anyway .

My high power rifles only sport 3x9 scopes. That is plenty for me.
When timber hunting, 4x is my favorite setting - Probably more out of superstition than anything.

7MM Rem mag=2x7. That\'s plenty powerful for big game

220Swift = 4x12. Heat waves kill some of the higher powers and it has always been plenty for prairie dogs out to 500 yds.

17 HMR = 3x9. Drops them little ground squirrels out to 200 yds. Great fun gun!

.177 Winchester pellet gun = 3x9. Because that\'s what came with it. :wtf:

Two thoughts on this:

1. Sometimes I think you\'ll get a better quality of glass if you spend your money on a fixed-4x or 6x than a 3-9x variable.

2. The 3-9x seems like something that is \"good at everything, great at nothing.\" Yet, I have either 3-9\'s or 2-7\'s on my scoped rifles. (Doh!)

3. I like to check out the Bargain Cave at Cabelas for used glass ... most of the better companies have warranties that go with the scope, so you\'re always covered. And you can save some money that way.

4. Never pay full price. (See #3).

Whoops ... I guess that\'s more than \"two thoughts\".

I agree with you Deertick and have pretty much been a 3-9 guy forever. However, last year I made a switch to a 4-16 Nikon Monarch. Don\'t lose much on the low end, but gain a bunch on the high end, which is nice to have. I have been a Leupold guy forever so switching to Nikon was tough, but I have to say the scope is pretty decent for the money. However, the glass isn\'t as good as my Leupolds. I think my next scope will end up being a VX-3 in 4.5-14 and this Nikon will end up being a quick detach option on my new Remington R-25 that I just picked up :D

I had one and I wouldn\'t say it\'s bulky...I just have a hard time justifying the price. It would have to be one rare circumstance where having a 50mm over 40mm would allow you to take a shot, at least in my opinion.

\"Deertick\" said:
What do you think about 50mm scopes?

To me ... they\'re too bulky.

Mine was left over stock from when I sold optics. The biggest problem is trying to get the darned thing mounted without the front hitting the barrel. It barely fit with medium rings.

AB

I think 50mm just looks bulky and usually needs higher mounts to clear the barrel. It also messes up what I call the \"Rule of Three\"

That\'s a phrase coined by Warren Page back in the 60s. And it pertains to the fact that you can sight in just about any of the most popular big game rifles 3\" hi at 100 yards and they will be pretty much dead on out to 300.

His data was meant to be used with the scope mounted so the reticle would be 1 1/2\" above the bore. That would be hard to do with a 50mm scope.

I have a 3.5-10x50 VX3 Leupold on my Browning A Bolt in a 300WM. I like the 50mm for the extra light at dusk and dawn.

4x on my grandpas trusty 30.06 that I inherited

3x9x40mm on my 308

6x18x50mm on my .300 RUSM

open sights on 30.40 krag

FIrst off, I have never hunted elk with a rifle! Only a muzzleloader with iron sights (CO) and mostly with a bow. However, should I venture into the elk woods armed with a rifle, I would use my Remington Model 7 stainless with a custom stock in 7mm SAUM with a Leupold VX3 3.5 - 10x scope. The gun shoots less than 1\" at 100 yards and a 1.5\" sight in at 100 puts it on at 200 and 5.5\" low at 300.

I am a Leupold fan and most of my optics, including binoculars, are Leupolds. Other brands such as Bushnell & Nikon are on my AR fun guns that will not see serious weather nor duty; plus, they have the BIG & TALL windage & elevation knobs on them! :) Whats not to like. My more serious AR that sees deer hunting duty is a 6.8 SPC and has a Leupold Mark AR in 3 - 9.

>>>>---BANG----->

Only rifle I shoot - 7mm mag with Leupold Vari XIII in 4.5x14 AO.

As stated above, most hunting is done 6 power or less. Only exception for me has been antelope where I cranked up to max power to judge better then dropped back to 10 for shot since was around 350 yards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back