minimum draw weight ?

turbo1967

Jan 4, 2013
My wife and daughter are going to start archery hunting elk  this year and just looking for opinions on what you think the minimum draw weight should be for someone shooting out to 30 yards .

Utah's legal min draw weight is 40 lbs, but don't tell my son that! I've told him all along that he has to pull 45 lbs min in order to be able to hunt with his bow. He's almost there and it's been fun to see him training with weights and doing push ups!  He's 12 by the way.

I believe Washington is also 40 lbs. minimum. However i'm not sure if i would shoot an elk with a 40 lbs. bow. Deer I might but I'd rather get up to 45-50. For elk, most of us shoot 60-80 and are still looking to get new products with better penetration.I currently shoot at 65. However, if they can only draw 50 lbs. Set the bow to 45 or 40. This way its not as strenuous to hold back, making them more accurate.

i would think that a 45 lb. draw would be sufficient enough, so long as you supplement that by choosing arrows and broad heads that have good penetration, probably a cut on contact broad head rather than one with a chisel tip

A good two blade broad head will help.  Still be nervous on elk until you get to 50 #s. 

I currently shoot 77 lbs myself, but I did tell the wife at least 45 for her  , just wanted to see if my opinion was in the area of most , thanks for the input

MLBowhunting said:
Yep 45 is perfect with a well placed arrow and a sharp broadhead.

"Well placed broad head" . This is the key! Most want more kinetic energy to penetrate and hit harder, due to the fact that its hard to place an arrow in an animal without at least scraping ribs. However, if you can get a perfect shot, no bones, just vitals and flesh,it wont take a super powerful bow. 45 should be sufficient to maybe break a rib if hit,but it might not have much energy to go further and cut vitals.

Same with rifle. Alot of people use a 7mm-300( like shooting 60-80lbs archery). But I have a buddy that hunts elk using a 243.

no worries , she has passed my expectations and is already shooting 50#. I do believe an elk is going down this year  ;)

My son shot 50# at 14 years old, and did fine on his first archery bull at 41 yards. Like what was said before, research arrow weight, spine, broadhead weight, etc and you should be fine with 45#.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back