Missouri deer hunt the good and the bad.

F M

Aug 3, 2017
Here\'s a quick recap of my hunt down in Missouri. I loaded up my truck after work on Friday evening and headed south about 5:00 Sat morning. After a 13 hour drive I didn\'t think was going to end I arrived in town and got my tags and pulled into my cousins place. After a tour of his place and pointing out some places for evening stands and seeing 5 does out in the pasture I was pretty pumped to get out hunting in the morning. The trail cam pics he showed me only got me more excited to go.

The alarm goes of at 5 am and a quick shower we head to another piece of land he has. Driving in a doe runs across the pasture as we drive in. Since I had no idea where his stands were he takes to a stand he says I won\'t see many deer but they are good ones when you see them. he heads to another stand. He sees a small 7 point but I don\'t see any till I walk out. Doe and fawn. In the evening I hunt behind his house and have a little fork horn and a doe and twins by me. Fun to watch but to soon to fill my doe tag.

Monday morning we head back to the same stands as the first morning. Pretty quite except for the squirrels sounding like a heard of cattle moving.
about 8:00 I see a spike running through a drainage ditch. Funny thing was I never heard him running. The leaves sounded like corn flakes walk on them.
So I\'m watching to my right a while later as that\'s were I\'m thinking the deer will come from when I look back to the left I see a buck walking down the steep bank. I\'m high above him and all I see is a wide heave rack on him and I instantly say to myself shooter. He is walking straight down hill towards me and will come by at about 20 yards to my left. My bow is on a hook right in front of me so I\'m reaching for it while thinking he\'s going to bust me moving. He does not see me grab my bow and get my release hooked on.
He walks behind a big oak tree and I draw back and when he clears the tree I blat at him and he stops and looks right at me. I have my pin on him as he stops and I touch the release and I watch the arrow disappear behind his shoulder. I\'m thinking yes but I still think to give him a couple of blats as he runs up a hill. I\'m thinking He went down right there as I don\'t hear him running.

I am thinking to myself wow that happened fast. Probably from when I first saw him till I shot him was less than a minute. So I start sending my cousin a text about what just happened when I see my buck walking up a steep hill behind where I saw him last. I put my phone down and grab my binos and watch him disappear in the brush. So now I\'m worried but then I see him staggering back down the hill and go down. If I had not been 20 feet up in a tree I probably would have been jumping up and down because I knew the biggest buck I have ever shot was laying 80 yards away. I finish texting my cousin that I have a buck down. I climb down and head over to him and I look at him and just sit down and cannot believe what I\'m looking at. I took some pics in the field but I was a little bloody so here are a couple after I cleaned up.
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->1980-01-01 00.02.20.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Congrats on a heck of a nice Buck!!!!!! :upthumb: That pic makes it easier to score than my small phone pic. I see where I missed that 1 1/8 inches. :haha:

That buck gets better and better the more I see him... Congrats again... :clap: :upthumb: :clap: :upthumb:

Thanks guys! I have more to tell but am having problems with this newer computer getting my pics to resize.

Brad he is 155 1/2 gross and net 153 1/3.

Now for a fun night on stand but all so a bad night.

I still had a doe tag in my pocket so I head to another old farm my cousin owns and pastures cattle on has quite a few does on it. I bring my ladder stand with and set it about 20 yards in from the field edge. Everything was pretty calm till about 6:00 and all heck breaks loose. I have 3 small bucks chasing does and fawns all over the place. Had quite a few shot chances but the does were really nervous. I finally had a doe come in to the side of me about 30 yards out. She is by herself and seems calm. She stops in a opening and I settle my 30 yard pin behind her shoulder and touch the release. The shot looks good on the way but she loads up and drops down and the arrow passes through high. I instantly know it was not a good hit and I\'m really bummed with myself.

I\'ve had this hit before and know the odds of it putting her down are not good. Just before dark I get down and look for my arrow and cant find it so I pick up the blood trail and it is good at times and very little at times. I track her to a spot she jumps a very high fence which is not a good sign. The other side was not my cousins so I mark the spot and headed back to my cousins for the night and find out if I could go after her in the morning. In the morning I\'m able to go in after her and I pick up the trail which is really spotty. I find were she bedded down and very little blood in it. I could not find any blood after she got up again anywhere. I searched for almost 3 hours and finally gave up. I hate it when I don\'t find a animal even if I\'m pretty sure she lived.

That afternoon we cut up my buck and get him in the freezer. In the morning I head back to the stand I lost the doe. I see two does and fawns heading my way about 20 minutes after daylight. The wind is wrong and the first doe does not want to come in and walks away. The other does fawn heads into the woods and walks by me and the doe comes in but angles away but turns and heads right to were I shot the other doe. I blat at her and she stops and I let the arrow fly. It passes through her shoulder and she goes about 60 yards and is down. I get down and go over to her and sit down and say thank you and just think about everything that has happened in the last four days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back