Montana Elk General License

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
I recently moved from a very familiar system in New Mexico to the Montana system, which I will be hunting as a non resident, and I have a couple questions for those of you who are better educated on Montana. If you wouldn't mind shedding some light, what I am trying to find out is if you pull a general elk license and hunt archery but are unsuccessful, can you hunt rifle season on that same license? I am also wondering if it matters which general units you hunt. What I mean by that is can you just bounce around from unit to unit? Thank you for your help folks, I am still in the beginning stages of this and trying to figure the units out, so any and all advice helps!

I have never hunted Montana so hopefully someone who has can chime in but what I do know is that some units do allow you to rifle hunt them if you didn't fill your archery tag. I'm just not sure which units those are, but I do know it's out there.

cohunter14 said:
I have never hunted Montana so hopefully someone who has can chime in but what I do know is that some units do allow you to rifle hunt them if you didn't fill your archery tag. I'm just not sure which units those are, but I do know it's out there.

Awesome start, man. Thank you. I wonder if you have to pre-hunt those units with a bow in order to hunt them with a rifle? I see on the application that you have to pay an archery fee if you plan to hunt that season, but nothing is asking for the unit you plan to hunt. Honor system at that point?

Yes. General otc tags are good for archery and rifle in areas that don?t require a special draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWMTBowhunter86 said:
Yes. General otc tags are good for archery and rifle in areas that don?t require a special draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, but they arent OTC tags. Last year deer and big game combos sold out in the draw. They had left over license for the elk combo, but seems like the demand is catching up. It may not be a guaranteed tag much longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back