Montana

Planopurist

Jan 24, 2017
Can you buy a bonus point in Montana the way you can buy a preference point in Wyoming? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can buy the preference points in Montana.  You have to put in the drawing.  If you call Montana FWP they would know for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nope you can't.  Gotta put in.  If your not drawn, they give you 80% of your fees back minus pref point fee.  Honestly I think Montana's pref point system is bogus...especially for out of state hunters.  It doesn't increase your odds of draw statistically in big bull districts, IMHO.  My family comes in every year to hunt with me from out of state and I never recommend they buy pref points.  Save the $20

Montana is a better leftover general tag state IMO. Nice thing about them is you can hunt archery and come back for rifle if you didn't tag out.

Planopurist said:
Can you buy a bonus point in Montana the way you can buy a preference point in Wyoming? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been awhile since ive been on this site but I wanted to correct or clear up a few things here.
Bonus points and preference points are different things in Montana. Preference points can be bought like they are in Wyoming, during summer months or during the draw process for the General Combination Tag. Preference points in Montana (50$) will give you a better chance at drawing the General Tag. You need the General Tag in order to apply for the Permit districts. If you apply for the permit districts (9$ application fee & 20$ for a bonus Point) and dont get drawn then you will acquire a bonus point.
Montanaelk31 is correct about getting an 80% refund if you are not drawn for the permit areas. That is the only way to gain bonus points in Montana.

And so far it doesn't look like there will be leftovers this year. Bad news for some. I have buddies that weren't drawn and a few that were waiting for left overs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back