Montana

linds1007

Dec 28, 2012
Im thinking of relocating to Missoula Montana has anyone hunted around there?Is it easily accesible for elk hunting?

I'm from Dillon, MT. I have never hunting up by Missoula, but a buddy of mine shot a 360 bull up there about 5 years ago. I've heard its pretty good up there, but I have my own honey holes that haven't failed me yet so I haven't ventured up that way.

Yeah, Dillon has a lot of outdoor opportunities close by.  Its not the "big" city though.  If you are looking for close outdoor opportunities and "big" city...then Missoula is the place to go.  I don't think you could go wrong with either place!

I think Dillon is awesome but I also grew up there. Like bugle em in said there isn't anything "city" to do there. They have a movie theatre and thats about it. But as far as outdoors stuff there are tons of things to do. The biggest city is 60 miles away and there isn't much there either. If you want hippyville USA Missoula is pretty hippy. Bozeman is a great place to. I just got a job in Idaho after I graduated college, but as soon as I can my wife and I are moving back to Montana and looking for somewhere in the SW part of the state. In most of the state there is a fair amount of public land and most of it is pretty good for elk in the west.

Well i am far from hippy but my wife wants to move closer to her family and other oportunities for the kids all i care about is work,ELK hunting and trap shooting. Thanks guys.

Missoula has LOTS of elk hunting opprotunity...as close as 20min from downtown Msla. It just depend what caliber of elk you want to shoot. Not going to be killing 360 class bull every year, but you do hear every so often, those big boys are taken, as such as "MT mulies" indicated. Aslo Msla offer great fishing and place for a kid to grow up!.....and we're not all hippies!

If you drive a Subaru, eat granola, drink lattes and wear crocks everyday.....you might be from Missoula.....Lol
Actually my son & his wife live there.

Linds, I have lived in and hunted the Missoula area for the last 4 years.  The elk hunting can be tough, but if a guy if willing to work he will get into elk. Anywhere within 1-1.5 hours of town will be covered in people, but a smart hunter can still get into elk everyday.

Logging dominated the area in earlier years so you can expect access points from several directions into your areas. This is a blessing as much as a downfall. As others have said you will likely be dealing with smaller bulls. I have have been within 30 yards of three bulls over 320" in the past two years, though.

I keep hearing horror stories about wolves in the Bitterroot valley. Is it as bad as the clearwater region in Idaho? 

@THEBUGLER

Not sure what the numbers are for the Clearwater area, but reports have the West Fork(Bitterroot) elk numbers from 2005 being 1900 to roughly 750 in 2010. Enough to put that hunting district(250) to become a limited draw for 10 permit for bull elk, 2 permit in which are for nonresident. This in turn putting outfitters out of business, along with income loss for local business. Probably the most popular hunting district in the Bitterroot is Hunting District 270, which is now a permit only for bull elk also, although it's an unlimited amount.  Hopefully with the first trapping season this year and the money that is being spent on research in those area, we'll have better ideas of elk herd numbers and more proactive wolf management system!

Don't limit yourself to one area. You have many great areas in Montana that hold some great elk. Do not overlook the Little Bull Mountains near Musselshell. Lots of private but you can find some good public lands the elk pass through each morning and evening.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back