Montana

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
ill be heading out to Montana the 2nd week in September to chase bugles with my bow. Reports that I?ve seen and from all the wildfires that are going on in Montana right now I wanted to post a question to all you seasoned elk hunters.

1. How much is the dry weather going to effect the elk in Montana?
2. Does your strategy change drastically with it being so dry or do you stick to your regular ?playbook?

Give it some time, watch the fire reports and look at the regional reports for Montana. Montana?s a big state, it could very in weather. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things can change a lot between now and the second week of Sept.  It all depends on what the conditions are when you are there.  It could be very hot and dry the second week of Sept. like it was 2 years ago.  In that case find water close to a bedding area.  That is your best chance.  Last year there were several fires but It snowed a lot the end of the second week where we were.  So the bulls were bugling and active most of the day.  If that happens it will be a great hunt. 

I would say that our spring and early summer was exceptionally wet this year! And this later summer weather pattern pretty normal.  So I guess to answer your question, don't sweat it.  Only a couple of fires going right now which is much less than normal, IMHO. 
So to answer your second question, I think this year in Montana is going to be epic for both elk numbers and antler growth (what I've seen) , and your coming at a solid time.  So get after it! 
Ps- check fires status at inciweb

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back