Moon Phase

cgsmith

Dec 28, 2012
A lot of people swear that the moon phase affects animal activity.  I lot of studies have had a tough time correlating the moon with movement or breeding activity.  What is your opinion?  Are elk more active in different moon phases?  Do you think it affects their rutting behavior?

This year I planned my BIG hunt with the moon phase and it worked out great.  Killed a nice little 5 point rag horn who gave himself away by bugleing.  Of course here in oregon a rag horn 5 point is about as good as it gets.  I think it does play a pretty big part in the cycle for the cows.

Just when I think Moon phases affect the animal behaviors I have one of the best days elk hunting with a full moon, go figure. They rut no matter rut though, keep that in mind.

Very true cgsmith.  I have heard bulls screaming opening weekend.  Just depends on the cows.  Some cows go in heat at diffent times throughout bow season.  Just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

Moon phase has been hit and miss for me. I have planned my week on the mountain thinking I was going to hit it just right and the day that was suppose to be the best was horrible. I feel you should pay way more attention to high and low pressure centers. I have been on the mountain as a low pressure changes to a high pressure and a storm rolls out and it is like the switch is turned on. It doesn't matter what time of day either. If it is raining and has been for a while you better be ready to hit the hills as soon as it lifts.

I have killed them during all phases of the moon, can't say I ever noticed a real difference in their behavior.

I don't believe it affects the rut at all, maybe it affects animal behavior but I have been successful in all moon phases as well.

Thanks for the input.  Very very similar to what I've experienced with whitetails here in MO.

i have been keeping a small journal for the last few years, my best bugling days are always during the full moon, we have found that when its the dark of the moon we always sit, this has produced good results, i killed my elk during the dark of the moon (sept 12th) this year off  water . during these time we dont usually call, i sat all day and never called, at around nine in the morning a small six came in and didnt make a peep, he busted me and i was not presented with a shot, at seven six cows came in with a nice five they didnt make a peep until they hit the water then the calves started getting excited i was able to take the five point.

I too have been pretty successful in all moon phases.  I know the elk tend to hit their bedding areas a little sooner on full moons, but am still able to locate the bulls and know their patterns.

moon or not im still going hunting.but I do find they bed down sooner with a full moon.still not a problem I like shooting them in their beds to. ;)

My observations have been that when it is bright at night the elk are out more feeding. I don't think the moon really affects the rut but does affect how late they feed in the mornings. 

Where I hunt, I have experienced slow morning bugling during a full moon, but if I can position myself close to the bedding area during mid-day it can be "money"! If it is pretty warm and dry and a full moon, it is a deal killer for me.....

Have killed during both and currently trying to hunt the dark phases to see if has any better success rate.  So far 0/1

Never really paid any attention to moon phase, i just get out there and give it all i got and it usually pays off.

My experience is the bigger the moon the harder they play at night and action in the day slows down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back