More heartbreak

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
Another three days in the woods, another group of close calls and nothing to show.  Had the big bull in to 20 yards Sunday afternoon and his lead cow busted out.  Must have caught wind.  I could literally hear the sucker breathing on the other side of the trees.  Just would not step out into the open.  I guess that's how he got so big. 
Seriously though, his lead cow busted us every day.  She had to have bionic smell and hearing.  Got to see him at about 80 yards twice, and what a pig he is. I don't know what to say other than "that's elk hunting for you."  I don't know if I've ever lft to elk woods feeling more defeated. 
Keep up the good work out there group... this is not an easy adventure we partake in when you can be so close to success and have it so quickly torn away! 

I feel ya for sure.  I have had multiple bulls (8) in range over the last 2 weeks and cant quite get them to come out.  The closest being 8 yards, furthest at 53 yds.  Right now, all the luck is going the elk's way.  I know it'll change if I just keep getting out there. Keep after it as u know I will.
"Highest of highs and the lowest of lows...."

at least your seeing some action, in my neck of the woods they are still not talking, bulls are still by them self's or in bachelor herds one of the latest ruts Ive seen in years

same boat here...tag soup this year.  lots of close calls, but whata difficult year.  late rut, and when they finally did get going, muzzleloaders came in and shut them down, then nearly full moon to end the season forced me to get aggressive and bump elk during the day and cover a lot of miles.  bitter sweet season...lots of time in the woods and exciting interaction...but an empty freezer.

I'm in the same boat. Probably the best elk season I have ever had but nothing to show for it. Got into elk 14 out of 17 days. Saw the most elk I have ever seen and was able to get in on 5 different herd bulls. Got busted by wind and cows on several occasions. The rutting activity in North Idaho where I was was great. Heard more bugles this year than probably the last 4-5 years combined.

After the rifle hunters have there fun I get a 5 day rifle hunt and a week long late archery hunt in December so it's not over yet but my favorite part has come and gone.

For now the focus is switching to finding a big moose for my Mom.

Here was some insult to my season. Hunted 17 days and had a lot of action but no real opportunities on any big bulls. Three days after archery elk season ends and my Mom Dad and I were looking for a moose for my Mom and we call this guy into 30 yards. He was at 30 yards for probably over 2 minutes. Turned broadside a number of times and gave plenty of opportunity to draw a bow had it been 3 days earlier. Bugled right in my face too. I don't know how they know when the season ends but this isn't the first nice bull to do this to me after archery season ends.

Attachments

• IMGP0017.JPG
    IMGP0017.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 13
Man, nice looking bull!  I've got one day left planned for this archery season, coming up tomorrow.  Trying a new area that I can scout for rifle season as well.  Good luck to all!

Wow Ribo.  that elk is so blond you can barely tell the difference between his rump and his main hide!  Nice bull.

I am in the same situation...saw lots of elk, had some ~OK bugling action, but the wind this September was coming from every direction most days and basically ruined any of my close setups. 

Sunday I had my 'add insult to injury' moment.  Couldn't locate/hear a single bugle all morning (pre-dawn to ~11 am), figuring it was indeed over.  Taking a shortcut to my truck 150 yards away on a game trail through some thick regen, and I hit elk stink.  Look to my right and behind a big alder bush is a 300+ bull standing there.  Played the stare game for about 10-15 seconds, wind shifted and he exploded out of there.  A big bull...by himself...not another elk around.  Definitely made me wonder what was going on with the rut, as there are plenty of cows in this drainage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back