Morning vs. Evening Thermals?

Coachjdub

Feb 26, 2014
I have gathered my opinion from a few years of experience but I would like to hear what others have to say.

Do you think Morning thermals are more consistent (less shifting) than evening thermals?

I got busted on an elk this past year about 45 minutes before dark.  The thermals were going up and down.  I set up below the projected path of the elk and when they finally came through above me.  The wind switched and end of story.  I am just wondering if I would have more luck working the same pinch point leading to their bedding area in the morning vs the evening.  Thanks.

In my experience, Morning thermals last much longer than the evening thermals.

Sometimes I will only get close to where I think the elk are coming down in the evening, just to listen and observe for the next morning

I would agree that the morning thermals can stay consistent for a longer period of time. Weather and terrain dependent

We have found morning thermals to be more consistent up until the morning sun rise and then the shift between 8:30 and 9:30am on us. The evening thermals will shift and swirl on you especially if your hunting in a draw. We have found hunting at the top of a draw keeps the evening thermals more consistent but it may result in a longer waiting game if your sitting. Hope this helps good luck

I can never remember what thermal direction is which......do morning thermal go up the mountain ridges and down in the evening? Or vice versa?  Thank you!

Jacob said:
I can never remember what thermal direction is which......do morning thermal go up the mountain ridges and down in the evening? Or vice versa?  Thank you!

Jacob, welcome to the site!  :welcome:

The morning and evening thermals are the same, both will go downhill. During mid morning they typically switch and start going uphill and do that until later in the evening when they switch back.

I agree with what the general consensus is.  Thermals go down from 6pm-11 am. Up between noon and 5.  Usually we kill our elk between noon and 5.  thermals are all over the place where we hunt between 11 and noon, 5 and 6 pm.  Just has been my experience.  I do all I can to kill elk midday and take advantage of a consistent heat of the day up thermal

I should add that in the morning the thermals seem to be more consistent, but 99 times out of 100, the elk are moving to their beds with their nose in the wind. 

Only been elk hunting 4 years now. From Wisconsin and I?m use to the winds in the whitetail woods. Have learned a lot on all my hunts. I?d have to agree that morning thermals stay consistent for a longer period of time. You have about 30-45 minutes of consistent thermals in evening. Another thing I?ve learned....if your hiking/following a creek during the morning evening or midday, the cool air from creek is like a vacuum. It takes your scent right down. If you get up outta the creek bed a little ways the thermals change back to morning/evening down, midday going up. I?m a newbie, but has anyone else noticed this or used it to their advantage to get on elk?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back