Mountain top, Midslope or bottom- Bivy camp

Kdkehoe

Aug 9, 2017
With only a few weeks to go until the Montana opener I've been looking at where would be a good bicycle camp spot for myself and hunting partner to camp out the third week of Sept.
First here is what I've been thinking. Mudslide with 1-2 mile walk (camp only 2 miles from trailhead/truck). This enables us to wake, pack in around and end up looking down on the north facing timber pockets as well as being able to cut a couple ridges and saddles. 
My concern is not being high enough or being in the middle of the food water bedding transition. 
I would appreciate some input as far as what you guys like or consider viable or what's worked best for you. Or what has typically been successful and maybe what hasn't worked and why! 

To me, where I hunt, it seems like the elk are always down in the drainages during the night, so I like to camp high at the top of the ridge. At first light they seem to be making their way up the south facing slopes, feeding. Once they get to the top, they drop down into the north facing side to bed down. Of course, each area is different. The area I hunt is very steep with most of the timber being on the north facing slopes. I like to be out on top of my favorite ridge first thing in the morning and see/hear what's going on below me. Of course, morning thermals have the wind blowing downhill, so that's always a challenge. Not sure if this benefits you at all, but this is just what I do.

It does and thanks. I'm always open to hearing others plans and tactics. 

More specifically we are going to be camping at the base of two extended finger ridges. Right like I said, about a short hours hike to the ridge to the top side looking into a couple northern facing drainages and finger ridges.  There's a fair amount of water ( usually, but this years fire season is killing us in Montana) fore potentia wallows and some small ponds features. The food source though is the only thing that I'm second guessing. I have a vague triangle of their pattern but boots on the ground I haven't been able to glass and see them settle and eat. Very much a browse and go type situation.  With it being extremely dry and drought conditions does anyone think they'd be pushed higher or lower towards more substantial water source?

Kdkehoe said:
With it being extremely dry and drought conditions does anyone think they'd be pushed higher or lower towards more substantial water source?
That can happen, but a lot depends on how many different water sources are available to them. If there are a bunch of wallows and small ponds in the area, it doesn't sound like there is a lack of water. In my experience, hunting an area just based on water can be difficult. Even if there seems to be a lack of water in an area, the elk seem to find others that you might not even be aware of.

There are quite a few. Although this year due to unheard of drought conditions in the state I'm not sure what will be dried up or a premium spot for elk.  It was so dry this year a drainage I usually rely on for water filtration for our camel backs was dry and there was still some snow a few logging roads up on the ridge. It blew me away as usually I start setting cameras in Late June (which is when I checked the water source) and the wallow was dry. We are praying for rain like crazy here.

Cohunter14- how do you camp, if you camp? 

I'm a wall tent guy. Camp by the road and hike in each day. I like having the mobility to move to different areas if I need to. The comfort of sleeping in a wall tent is nice too  ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back