Mouth calls

Bryan

Dec 20, 2013
Hoping you guys can shed some light...been trying like crazy to make my mounth call work. Even after getting Corey's Elk University DVD's and practicing like mad; it is still very uncomfortable and works marginally.  Any non-mouth calls anyone would recommend? Thanks!

knight and hale have a couple good ones so does primos have you tried calling on one with out a dome just a regular turkey call?

I haven't no...the call I have been trying is a Primos.  I can get sound out of it, but it sounds more like a yelping dog and it is super uncomfortable.

I like mouth calls the best, but there are some external reed calls that work well from many different companies. Check some of them out they kind of look like a duck call if your not familiar with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check out knight and hale and primos reed calls "hot lips" and such, and try a plain two reed turkey call for a diaphragm call see if that works better foryou.

I'd try the Temptress cow call from the Elk101 store for Cow calls. It's an open read design that's super easy to use. Just slide your lips up or down the read to change the pitch. As for Bugles I would try either the "Pack A Bull" or the "Select A Bull" from Bugling Bull games calls. Again we have those here on Elk101.com store. For those all you do is bite down to change the tone of the Bugle. The harder you bite, the higher the pitch. Great sounding and easy to use! I hope this helps!

After years of using diaphram mouth calls,I couldn't get them to work consistently.
Started getting open reed and bite calls.I have most of those mentioned and just got 2 from Steve Chappell in AZ. Great calls!

Thanks for all the advice guys!  I'll keep at it with the call I've got and pick up some of those open reed calls as suggested.  I get some weird looks from people at stop lights let me tell you!!  Good luck this season to all...

If you have a narrow palate that may affect the fit of the reed.  After using a new call for a bit the fabric "skirting" of the reed starts showing a bit of a crease.  I cut this crease with scissors allowing it to overlap ... which I feel gives me a better seal and better sounds.
A single reed is also way easier to call with than doubles or triples.  The mellow yellow I find to be very easy to get good cow sounds with.
Good luck - hope this tip might help you are others that might be struggling.

Different Reeds feel different on your plate, the Primos fit mine the best, the Carlton are too big and the B.B. dont feel right either... I tried out a whole bunch of different ones until I found the brand and type that fit the best... Dont give up hope! Mouth Reeds are the way to go!!!!!

I can get sound, but mainly sounds like air just blowing through.  I can't seem to get it seated comfortably in my mounth and need to blow my butt off to make it sound like any semblence of elk.

Try different manuf until you find one that fits your palate. Check out the bugling bull allstar and Glenn berrys reeds..keep at it you will find one that works for you

Check out the yellow mouth call from bugling bull game calls. Blows super easy. Love their calls. Also primos double lip hyper cow call, has a really good nasal sound to it and is soft sounding, or the imakadabullscrazy cow call from primos,blows easy and is good for mid range calling, kinda loud. The Steve Chappell call from bugling bull " the matriarch" I believe is the name, a wood call, really clean nasal sound, those are the ones I use. Bugling bull diaphragm calls are my fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Temptress is one of my favorites and easy to use... locks up the least.

I can only use the newer Domed diaphragm mouth calls. The Bugling Bulls tone top have become my favorite. http://buglingbull.com/product-category/elk-calls/elk-tone-top-diaphragms/

I can bugle, chuckle, and cow/calf with the same call in my mouth.

Got a herd bull to pull away and check me out the other night using the Herd Master. I used it to chuckle in my tube which pissed him off... then I estrus buzzed to peak his curiosity.  Forty yard broadside shot and my arrow hit the only pencil sized limb in the lane.

Thanks for ALL your input guys.  I ended up trimming off a small portion along the back.  This allowed the call to 'seat' itself better on the roof of my mouth and not make me gag my head off.  Working much better now!!

Jeremiah Johnson said:
Try different manuf until you find one that fits your palate. Check out the bugling bull allstar and Glenn berrys reeds..keep at it you will find one that works for you

I couldnt agree with this one more! Keep trying mouth calls until you find one that works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back